View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #86
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Been making some slow progress the past few weeks, but I had a few days off and I'm excited that I'm able to start actually putting things back together...

I modified and fitted the rear spring hangers from the 73 to my 66 frame. This will allow me to use standard 1-1/2" OD x 9/16" ID rubber (or poly) bushings rather than a solid bronze bushing. I actually kinda like the idea of the solid bronze bushing but I think the rubber will wear better and last longer. This also lowers the spring mounting position compared to the stock 60-66 and should allow me to get rid of the huge 6" factory block.

I also painted the five main crossmembers, built some wooden frame stands and bolted the main frame back together. Its starting to feel like an actual pickup again!

(excuse my neighbor's trash heap next door)

I contemplated doing a 52" spring swap up front. But the stock rear spring rates seem to be considerably lower than standard front spring rates, and I read that the truck may be a little too bendy and flexy for street driving and towing. So I'm sticking with the Rancho lift springs I have up front. I'm in the process of building a new front hanger to use a 9/16" bolted rubber bushing, and I'm modifying the rear shackle hanger to get rid of the really weird screw-in bushings that were on it and go to a standard 1-1/2" rubber bushing, same as on the rears. This leaves only the rear of front leaf bushing which for some reason has a weird 1.13" eye. I'll need to source a rubber bushing from somewhere in that size. (anybody have any good sources for bushings?)

That's about it for now. I'm anxious to get the springs and axles under it. Maybe next weekend. I'm still contemplating pickup up a Dana 60 for the front, mainly just for the bigger front brakes and the bling factor.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 08-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote