View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: wheels rubbing lower control arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
(A little rant here...)

I'm glad you're happy with the results and have that 1200 dollars still in your pocket. So many guys read magazines or read the Internet and get the impression that spending money on aftermarket parts to solve a problem is the only way. The magazines are supported by their advertisers, not the people who buy them. As an example, I pay 16 dollars for 24 issues of Hot Rod Magazine. That's 75 cents per issue delivered to my mailbox. Basically, all they are doing is delivering a catalog full of ads to me. So, therefore, they always push buying stuff from their advertisers rather than solving problems the cheap way.

Back in the late 80's I got involved in lowered trucks. Back then, you ordered your drop spindles and installed them and clearanced the control arms until you had full lock to lock steering. There were no aftermarket solutions so we used common sense and solved the problems. And we drove many miles and many years before the aftermarket ever thought of selling us expensive control arms that didn't need grinding. They wanted my money to solve a problem that me and a zillion other guys had already solved with a grinder years ago.

Same deal with cutting coil springs. We got a bunch of guys on here say to "do it right" and never cut a spring because its unsafe. They've read and heard that for so long that it's become gospel in their minds. The people who started that crap were the people trying to take your money and sell you a shorter coil spring. The last thing they want is to lose the sale of a set of springs because some guy uses a grinder to modify his stock springs. But, you got guys like me, Keith, and Scot and so many other that have been cutting coil springs for 20 plus years saying it works fine.

As I've gotten older, I have evolved to the point that I only believe what I have seen and done myself or the word of those around me who have proven themselves worthy of being a mentor to me. I am wary of any suggestion that I spend money on something until I prove it necessary myself.

(I'm done now, you may resume your regular Internet viewing schedule)

Well said!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote