View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #80
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: D60 Front Brake Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADMAX View Post
Im building a D60 Axle almost from scratch as they dont produce what I am looking for. Like you, I don't like the brakes origionally used on the D60. So I like your thread and progress. My idea is similar to yours in that I was using the factory 2003 Chevy 2500HD brakes since they are already installed on my truck. Since reading this thread I liked the size difference of the Dodge rotor only for one reason. I installed a tone ring on my hubs similar to what Danatrac did. My Chevy rotors have more room than the D60 rotors but it was tight. The dodge Rotors will give plenty of room to mount the sensors. Anyway here is my thoughts/issues with the brackets. Im not sold on using 5/16 plate for the brackets. Even the 3/8 is somewhat iffy IMO. I havent ruled it out yet just a concern as Im driving this on the road as much as the dirt. Also I am having issues with the Lug bolts. I found a Dorman Bolt you may want to look into the 610-215. It looks good in that the rotor holes are very snug to the bolt. Probably the best we can find that is already produced. It may need a couple thousandths taken off the shoulder area but I will see. First I need a lug nut to ensure it will work in my wheel. Good luck with getting this finished.

If I need to upgrade the bracket material, there is an option. Solid Axle makes a new hub that has .33x further offset, so the brackets could be made out of 3/8" or probably 1/2". I just wasnt going to buy new hubs because mine were still usable. If I have issues down the road, I can always take it to the next level.

As far as using 5/16 plate, my though was there isn't really any lateral force on the bracket, only rotational.

The only other option woud be machining a bracket out of billet. It would be alot more expensive but you couldn't beat the cool factor....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 03-23-2012 at 04:49 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote