View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #28
sntrym95

Re: New engine for 94 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LSLB View Post
rockosocko,
I found this truck for my brother thru a guy at work. His mom was the original owner; she was under 5 feet tall so literally a little old lady. She only drove it to church and the grocery store. 31k original miles on it! The body is rust free. There was an issue with one of the spark plugs always fouling every couple of thousand miles. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap etc for him. It’s using a lot of oil, so I had him take it to a dude (my brother lives 4 hours away) to do a compression test. The one cylinder that kept fouling was leaking past the rings. For the amount it was going to cost to remove the engine and do the labor the mechanic said he should just get a new long block and reuse all of his accessories. He’d like to add headers, dual exhaust and a cam. I think he should just do the headers and duals with a cold air intake. Is a chip required for these upgrades?
I think he should also slam it (like my 72) but he’s 66 and doesn’t like slammed trucks.
His truck is super nice and worth upgrading, that’s for sure.
You'll need a chip for the cam, but everything else is bolt on. You will see a difference with the headers, but the TBI already has a cold air intake from the factory, but you can remove the box and put a straight pipe in between the air cleaner and the fender pickup. The air comes in from behind the parking lamp on the passenger side, through the fender and out over the wheel well.

Dual exhaust might be an issue as well since the TBI computer was designed with a single O2 sensor, so you'll need to accommodate for that. A single 3" exhaust is plenty for the TBI motor.