View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #113
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: New to me 1972 K5

OK. Haven't updated in a while. The tank was a PITA... Too many bends on one piece, so we had to trim ends and weld them back on.. Also put a little too much heat into the ring... so the top is a little warped. Its tacked together...
Trying to track down a scrap piece of 2x4 to make a new rear crossmember. Replace the factory bolt in Z shaped bent one with a welded on length of box tubing...

I bolted up the hydroboost and built the connecting rod to the pedal. I cut and sectioned the brace from the firewall to the master cylinder (not pictured).

I posted this in my brake upgrade thread as well... but ....

I went to test the Raceline wheel on the passenger side and it fit, but barely. So close that I went and assembled the driver side (I hadn't tried this before.) I tride to mount the Raceline wheel and it wouldn't fit over the wheel studs. The problem was I upgraded to 5/8" wheel studs and holes in the rim was too small. It had no allowance for being 27+ years old and slightly off center. So I grabbed the Hummer rim and .. TA DA... it fit the driver side, no problem.... 1/16" celarance between the caliper and rim.... So now I was thinking, what the hell is wrong with the other side....
I disassembled the passenger side brakes, then re-assembled making sure everything was aligned. There is a small amount of adjustment/play in the hole that the caliper mounting bolt goes through. I test the Hummer wheel again, and IT FIT.... again only 1/16" clearance, but it clears... as long as there is no deflection in my braket, I should be fine...

Another note about the Raceline wheels. You have to use aftermarket slpined lug nuts. The fit was so tight that you couldn't even get a thin wall socket on the lugnut. Now that may be beacuse I upgraded to 5/8 wheel studs and the OD of the larger lugnut take up more space, but just and FYI.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote