View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #12
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: 95 2 door Yukon original 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
How about a TBI mod thread! Do you think your mileage improved or more performance oriented results from the mods. Also the head retorque, just did it because it had been setting so long? How far did you run the rockers down? Quarter, half or full turn? I am installing a Suburban rear end in the 92, so I will end up with bigger brakes. My daughter blew up the G80, broke the carrier!
Good idea on the TBI thread! I would be more than willing to do that. I need to find a donor to work on... we have a 93 at work that might become the candidate. as for mileage or performance, I think that will depend on how i drive it. I have managed 20mpg (Cheyenne, Wy-Florissant, Co-Cheyenne, Wy) before. Prior to doing the throttle body I had to keep more foot in it to keep it going, not so much now. I can also get up to speed a whole lot easier.

I should also mention that I have the wide ratio NV4500 with the big gear split between 2 and 3. I also have no 3rd gear synchro left (common problem). This used to be an issue with getting up to speed, but now there is plenty of power to work with.

I did the head re-torque after reading another thread where a member beelzeburb was having similar issues as my 350. His 454 had a stumble off idle and a slight miss. He got the idea from another board. Seemed to work for me too! I put new head bolts on when I built this engine. For the valves I just used the good ol' GM service manual technique. I set the crank to #1TDC, loosened and re-adjusted each rocker it called for, then rotated it to #6TDC (360deg), loosened and set the remainder of the rockers.

In all honesty, I don't care for Hydraulic lifters, even if these are rollers, and I don't care for the GM SBC rocker set up. I could deal with hydraulic lifters if I had shaft mounted rockers. Otherwise, without blueprinting the valve train, the adjustments are only marginally similar. but, hey, its working, so I won't complain.

So how many G80's does this make for your family? I have 200 miles until I hit 220K... maybe I should pull mine and give it to a museum! Was that the extra plate version you built?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote