View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #452
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
The 95 and 97 F350s that i had put the sway bar behind the front axle. Drop is on the wrong side for your truck but another angle to look at. Who knows, might be able to get one and flip it on top of the axle instead of under?

Which BH did you get? AA or stock? I was tempted to get a CF clutch but am going to try and see if the Valeo that was behind the 396 will work. The 454 kinda broke the bank.
A while back I picked up a 92-95 nv4500 bellhousing with the passenger side slave cylinder. As long as i keep the truck at the current ride height and get the compression travel or bump stops right, I shouldn't really have a problem with the front driveshaft impacting the bellhousing in the spot where the slave mounts. This would save me from having to buy the AA bellhousing and the hydraulic clutch bracket (i could make this myself, in fact i may have already made one...) to the tune of $400. But I may need to buy a new slave cylinder and throwout bearing (maybe $200?). I'm 99% sure I can use the same clutch, but I think I'll find that I have some worn or broken pieces in the clutch disk when i pull it out (another story). I have the used items but I'd hate to have to pull the trans back out to replace a throw out bearing after the fact. In general i like using factory designed parts, so i'm going to try and make the factory bellhousing work.

I'm sure the clutch from your 396 will work on your 454. Do the 454's use a neutral balanced flywheel like the 396 or does it have to be balance with the rotating assembly? I never really understood the logic behind that design...

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote