View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
El Campo

Re: Attempt/Mistake #2

Since I want to put 2 electric fans on the truck this go around I have been having some troubles with the fitment as others before have. I do not want to put fans on the front side of radiator though as that just seems like it would lead to a lot of wind resistance. As can be seen in the picture I only had 3.5 inches of clearance between the hub of my long water pump and the 4 core radiator. (cannot go to short water pump as I will be running serpentine system on the truck this go around). So the only thing I could think of was taking a section out of the core support. Hope I still have enough strength in it after the cut. If it looks like it flexes alot I will weld a little support in the back side of the core support. Hard to see exactly where I cut it since it is silver and my little 12 dollar body saw from Harbor Freight ( I know I cant hardly believe something from HF worked either!!) cut it like an absolute dream, didn't even have to hardly touch it with a grinder afterwards. Now I am up to 5.5 inches of clearance which should surely be enough by my calculations. I may have to cut a small section out of my inner hood front support, not sure yet. And I think that I can always gain an additional 0.5 inch of clearance if I absolutely have to by grinding the water pump shaft a little. I had to cut a relief for the radiator cap and had to modify my top radiator brackets so that they will hold the radiator where I want it.
Attached Images

72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote