Thread: 48 panel truck
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #98
xpickup

Re: 48 panel truck

We have been so busy at work that I can not work on it as much as I would like. But I have been working on the rear brakes. I bought the speedway kit with the emergency brake (GM metric caliper). They sent a brake pad spacer with it and could not figure out where it went. When I put the pads in the caliper and used my dial calipers to check the gap it was .243 bigger than the rotor. The brake pad spacers one thickness was just that. I then figured that that spacer was for a non emergency brake caliper. So I called them and asked them about it and naturally they had no idea what I was talking about and no one else ever had the same problem. They told me just to run it without a spacer. I checked it out and I could run it without a spacer but I did not like the distance that the piston moved out. I work in a machine shop so I thought I would make 2, but then thought that I could buy a set of cheap pads I could chisel off the brake material and loose the squealers and the rest of the junk on them. I could not make them for the $10 they cost. So that is what I did, I also took a 1/4 mill and put a notch in them for the little pin. They are .200 thick. They fit right between the piston and the brake pad and it worked out great. Tonight I managed to get the drivers side bracket welded on. I am cheap and figured I would buy the weld on kit because it was close to a $100 cheaper. I also bought the Ididit emergency brake cables so I will hook then up too. I am using a s10 foot emergency pedal and have to mount it yet. I am checking off some things on my list finally!

Shannon
Attached Images

xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote