View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
bluex

Power steering pump problems...

I have a 96-98 serpentine setup I just installed on my 78. I used the power steering pump that came with the brackets, disassembled it an had the pulley an resivior powder coated. Put it all back together an used the fitting an internal stuff from my stock pump so I could use a new factory pressure line for the truck (5/8 flare instead of metric o-ring). Never had any assist from it after the install, so today I swapped the pump with a reman. I got assist on the first start an bled with wheels in the air. Let it down an it still worked great. Shut it off an topped off the fluid an now no more assist. I had to use an impact to get the pulley on both times an I even got a new Dorman pulley today because the one I had powder coated gave me a fit installing it but this new one wasnt any easier to get on the reman pump.

Sorry for the novel but what am I doing wrong here? Is it using the impact? If so how the heck are you suppose to get the pulley on? The installer just starts unscrewing itself right after the pulley starts. The system worked fine before the swap an it worked good with this pump for 5 mins....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote