View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #44
LDO

Boyd tank install

I was hoping to have a bunch of pictures but I was solo on this upgrade and to be honest, it was a pretty smooth deal.

Here's what I started with:
Boyd's tank non-efi, some russel fuel line, a K&N breather/vent, some hose ends and a 0-90 ohm fuel guage I picked up at O'reily's. I'm planning on a future guage panel install/upgrade so I picked up a temp unit that would work with the sending unit already installed in the tank.

I also picked up a bed fill hose section and flush mount filler from CPP. 90 degree 1/2 npt to hose barb fitting was picked up at my local Reynolds hardware store. Need to make sure you don't get one that is too big as it sits right inside the bed cross sill.

The install was pretty easy even with the bed wood already installed. I already had 3 holes on each of my frame rails so I just made a template of the rails and marked the tank flanges where I needed to drill. A little rough getting a wrench on the bolt head but I was able to tighten everything down properly. I ran a brand new wire from the sending unit and piggy backed it to my speedo cable and brought it into the cab that way. Also grounded the other sending unit terminal to a nearby frame ground.

I removed the in-cab tank and my new fuel line clamped onto the rigid line in the same spot as the old rubber hose section. I also plugged up the hole in the floor with a plug and some RTV. New fuel line ran inside the frame and was clamped every few inches with a 90 degree AN6 fitting.

The 1 1/2 inch fuel hose from CPP wasn't very flexible so it won't tolerate too much variance on where you drill the hole for the fill port. I was able to make it work though.

Took her out for a spin and filled up the tank. No leaks, everything is good and tight. It's nice to finally know how much gas I've got and no fuel smell!

Sorry I didn't take any detailed pics of the install but if anyone needs a specific pic, just ask.

Here are the pics I do have.
All the goodies:

Black anodized bed fill.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote