The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
LDO

57 Build: Beverly

Picked up this Arizona beauty a few weeks ago so I figured I'd start a project thread.

1957 Chevy 3100. An original V8 truck. There was some restoration work done about 8 years ago. 283 motor and previous owner installed a TH350. body looks really good and I haven't found any rust that would be a concern.

Truck is in awesome shape and I could prolly just drive & enjoy her as she sits; but what's the fun in that???? LOL

Some things are sort of 'not the way I woulda dun it' type things but that's getting fixed soon enough.

Wife named her Beverly (Blue) and I guess it has stuck. Besides, I'm having too much fun to argue!

First thing I did was order a shop manual, read tons of posts here & asked lots of questions! Then it's off to the garage to get acquainted!

Here are my plans:
Keep the 283 but would like a 5 speed (just because).
3-4" drop axle from Sid with all the steering 'stuff' to keep me straight.
Convert to 5x4.75 lug pattern front wheel disk conversion.
AC (at some point)
Fuel tank under bed - already has one but it's a Jaz products with a nasty looking 'cage'. (not the way i woulda dun it).
NEW WHEELS!

Here's what's in work:
Weather proofing truck!
Needs lots of weatherstip, felts and rubber parts.
Radiator replacement.
Oil pan replacement.
Tranny pan replacement (with drain plug).
Bumper replacement.
Lots of cleaning, lots of painting.

Here's what's next:
Electrical needs to be looked at. Everything works as advertised but there is a painless harness installed and some stuff just doesn't look like enough attention to detail was paid so...

Here's what's got me still scratching my head:
Keep stock rear end and have axles filled & re-drilled for lug pattern? I would still need a disk brake kit and gearing change. Then install 3" lowering leaf springs.

OR

Go with new (to me) rear end. Say, out of S10 or something that will give me disks & ebrake in the rear and a good gear ratio then install 3" lowering springs... will have to sleep & study that one a little more.

**If anyone can give me info on my stock rear end and if there are axles out there that would work, I'd appreciate the info!
** Seen some under bed fuel tanks that say they drop right in and bolt up. Really?? I find that hard to believe but if anyone has used one, please chime in with your thoughts.

I've been working on her almost every day and on the weekends but I will post pictures of what I've been up to when I get home today.

Here she is at the Fl welcome center where I picked her up from the transport company.

Here she is in my driveway same day.

LDO

Last edited by LDO; 05-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: 57 Build: Beverly

That's a great looking truck, wish mine had looked that good when I got it. Post up some more pics of it when you can. Your plan sounds good to me, just do things that won't keep it down for too long at a time. BTW, I think your fender badges are on backwards. Some might prefer them that way though.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
LDO

Funny you mention the fender badges, I've looked on google images and i've seen them both ways. Couldn't find anything in the shop manual with a pictures so i had no reference. That's how they were when I go the truck but when I take them off, I'll flip them around and see if I like that better.

Now, on to the pictures:

The previous owner (PO) used 1/2 sheets of Styrofoam to sound deaden the inside of the doors I guess. I peeled all that stuff off and spent hours with a razor blade carving out the liquid nails glue. After that, I vacuumed all that mess, sprayed some rust inhibitor (not much rust there) then sprayed some rubberized undercoat/sound deadener. Turned out like this and then I placed some hush mat stuff inside the doors in some 'strategic' locations.

A few pieces of hush mat inside the doors.

A little inside the door panels.

My inner steps after some roll on bed liner.

New rear bumper with some rubberized undercoat on the inside.

Engine bay & some fresh paint. Amazing what a can of paint can do for your soul!!!

Man, a new grille is pricey!!! Decided to work on this one a bit.

Looks better after a little paint and cleaning.

New parts standing by.

The victims!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
kgmunro

Nice looking truck, I love the blue. Is a looker already.
kgmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
LDO

I've got a question though, I've got a 4 core radiator and I'll be using a 16" fan wired to a 180 degree temp switch.

Running an external tranny cooler. Should I place it infront of the radiator where it may benefit from the fan pulling air or place the tranny cooler off to one side where it will get only 'ram air' thru the grille?

Also, my 16" cooling fan has a probe for putting into rad fin but also a water inlet plug. Is there one better over the other?

Last edited by LDO; 04-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
OrrieG

I ran my cooler next to the frame under the step on the passenger side. In the air flow but protected. I left enough room to add a fan on top of it if the temps are a problem. I plumbed a tee into the line for a temp sensor.

Last edited by OrrieG; 04-15-2011 at 02:50 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
kaycee

That is a nice looking truck, but in my opinion I would ditch those wheels
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
duwem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee View Post
That is a nice looking truck, but in my opinion I would ditch those wheels
I agree, might look decent if it was lowered some.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee
"That is a nice looking truck, but in my opinion I would ditch those wheels"

"I agree, might look decent if it was lowered some".

Please read before you post, he said he wants to lower it and change the wheel bolt pattern....

Nice truck, you are miles ahead of me and many others

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/

Last edited by bobinbc; 04-15-2011 at 11:44 PM.
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
LDO

Ok,
question now for future use. I have the stock 6 lug rear end. Nobody makes axles that I could pop in that would give me the 5 lug pattern I'm looking for?

I haven't measured it yet but it appears a mid 70s camaro rear end will work and a 4x4 s10 also?

Just want to know in case i run into one that i can get for cheap and use later...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Awesome ride. We all could only be so lucky to find one in that condition. But heck, where is the fun in that, right? You will have a great time with her. A wealth of info on this board. These guys know the ropes, so to speak. Good luck and keep us up to date. We love pictures!

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
LDO

Hey,
as an active duty Marine myself, what you are doing with your build is awesome!

Semper Fi!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Thanks, I love my old truck but I love my comrades even more! LEST WE NOT FORGET. I will surely follow your updates. Stay safe!

Thanks Brother

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Go to CAL 58 GMC Build Thread post #14. It shows his rear end from a Blazer.

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
LDO

well,
i came home today after work and got some pretty serious news. Seeing as I've got a birthday comming, the wife ordered me a zz4 crate motor.....

So there are some serious issues I need to work out to get ready for the arrival.

Obviously, I need motor mounts. Currently have the front motor mounts on the 283.

I need headers and a new exhaust system.

I need a new wiring harness. Looks like the PO installed the current harness at night with a butter knife.... it says painless but it looks like it hurts! even though the truck runs! LOL

Any advice on my new list of mods?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
LDO

And so it begins. Going with a rebel wire harness and got some parts coming in the rest of the week. Getting the cap prepped for some sound proofing undercoat, that window seal stuff and some hush mat. Then, some carpet and some other goodies!

Here is my new rad, fan and shroud. Looks like I'll have to make it a pusher due to clearance but hey, saul good.

Inside the cab needing some rust inhibitor, undercoat and some hushmat. Can't wait to get started...

Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
LDO

Got some more work done today. Cab is done and ready for hushmat and some carpet.

Got the rad, fan and shroud mocked up. Looks like I'll run it as a pusher since I would end up with some clearance issues otherwise.

Working on some mounting straps for the tranny cooler.

Wife cleaned up the garage while I got stuff done.

Seems like I'm going backwards a little but it will all come together I'm sure. Not a high $$ restoration really, just doing what I can with what I have. I want to get her back on the road soon and start enjoying my truck!

Here are some pics, enjoy. Its Margarita time...

Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

You are making great progress! Keep it up. By the way, great truck, nice looking shop, a wife that helps around the garage...wow, every man's dream...lucky man. Oh, what did you use to spray/brush to sound proof your cab? Looks good!

Dru~ USN Retired
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
You are making great progress! Keep it up. By the way, great truck, nice looking shop, a wife that helps around the garage...wow, every man's dream...lucky man. Oh, what did you use to spray/brush to sound proof your cab? Looks good!
I used this rubberized undercoat by dupont that i picked up at pepbys. Used it inside my doors and it seemed to work pretty good. I'm backing it all up with pieces of peel & seal and hushmat. Stole the idea from member magicoolbus link here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456988

Thanks and SEMPER FI 57!

Last edited by LDO; 04-30-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
Kim57

I've been following your build and it is looking real nice.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
Russell Ashley

Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper. Is that floor painted or is that tile? I've considered doing something to mine but I'm afraid the steel wheels on my jacks would mar it. Do you have any problems with that?

Lovin' your truck, wish mine looked that good.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #22
LDO

Russsell,
those are 12x12 peel & stick tiles. They clean up really good not matter what and with a little wax, they shine really nice. My garage jack has not messed it up yet and when I use jack stands, i place them on a piece of plywood so no sharp angles or edges dig into the floor.

The cool thing is that should some tiles get messed up, i just pop out the bad one and replace it. Pretty simple and cheap too. A box of 40 tiles is like 12 bux!

Got a little more work done.

I used some hushmat and that peel & stick stuff from Lowes and I will tell ya, that stuff is IDENTICAL to hush mat and dynamat. I installed it in the afternoon sun and there was no tar smell at all. You'd better be happy where you place this stuff as it is one sticky devil!

Here are some more pics.

A little black carpet just to make it nice and presentable....

I'm done for the day. Gonna have a few more of these and watch some tv.

Last edited by LDO; 05-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
LDO

Almost forgot, the wife let me open a birthday present early.....woooohoooo

and yes, it lights up blue...
Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
jimig1

is that the new Dakota Digital Gauges?
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin

Last edited by jimig1; 05-01-2011 at 10:54 PM.
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
55Cameo

Very nice work and progress. Love those gauges. Wanna see some installed pics soon
55Cameo is offline   Reply With Quote