View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Help needed with tie rod end for disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
Since I did not use a 71-72 cross-member this is the procedure I followed from the sticky above. No mention of centerlink.

67-70 truck with

67-70 Crossmember Installed:
1) There are many advantage to leaving your 67-70 crossmember in place to add disc brakes.

2) 67-70 truck owners can now purchase "year specific" standard and drop spindles, from many aftermarket suspension vendors.
* No need to change ball joints.
* No need to change tie rod ends.
* These new "conversion disc brake spindles" are a true "bolt-on" mod to add disc brakes to your truck.

3) The 67-70 a-arms can also be used with any other (71-72 or 73-87) spindle, with a simple ball joint change.
* The upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rods must match the correct year of spindle you choose.

4) You will need a "conversion" rubber brake hose to connect your disc brake caliper to your existing steel brake line.
* 71-72 rubber brake hoses can be adapted.
* Much longer 73-87 brake hoses can also be adapted.
* Aftermarket steel braided brake hoses are an option.

5) Keeping your original 67-70 crossmember allows to to leave the engine and transmission in place.
* No need to remove drivetrain.
* No need to temporarily support the engine, while removing the crossmember.
* Complete disassembly of the front suspension also allows you the ability to clean, inspect, replace or rebuild all the individual components.
You are correct.
I tried to write every possible combo of parts.
Obviously I missed that.
I'm no longer a moderator so I can't edit that thread.
My opinion,... I would never swap the entire crossmember.
Years ago that was a good EASY way to get disc brakes.
But now all donor truck parts are WORE OUT.
In my opinion everything needs to be disassembled, inspected, and replaced with new parts.
And if that's the case,... All I see reusing is the centerlink, a-arms, and spindles, (if you don't want drop spindles).
Everything else needs to be replaced with new parts.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote