View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #34
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Let's see your homemade crafts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Very nice house ,,exactly what the wife wanted .nice big covered porch..and the breakfast octagon look from the oustside is a great addition to the look of the house.. gotta ask ya ,,why is it that you decided not to use cement for a foundation.. not knocking anything Leon ,,I am just used to the mold and rot from Oregon on the coastal areas ..

Did you tear down the existing farm house on the property,, I say that cause of the photo of your old barn I have seen..nice ol barn too..

I have noticed that in my adventures of remodeling that some of the old old houses that were built on wood foundations have lasted better than some houses do when they are skirted in.. air keeps the wood from rotting..

I built this log house for a lady and will post a photo of it down the line aways ,,don't want your house to make mine look bad..lol

Thanks Larry,

The main reason I decided on the wood was by going that way I could do it all myself. I didn't have to hire the concrete work done. We don't have much of a mold problem here and I installed drain tile under the basement floor and all the way around the outside of the foundation walls. It drains out to the road ditch so no water problems at all.

The original farm house was burned down by the previous owner just before we bought the property...

When building a wood foundation for a house you have to use "Foundation Grade" treated wood. It is completely different than treated wood for decks & outdoor projects. When we built our house there was a contractor in Des Moines, IA building them the same way we did ours, and he was guaranteeing them for 75 years. I talked to him at the state fair.

Post up the pictures of the log house. I have a soft spot for them... I really like the wooden chests you made also.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote