View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #39
Advanced Design

Re: New Project 57 Chevy panel on 78 chevy frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-P Auto View Post
Doug;

Just looking at the 78 frame,has too much kick up over the axles.
The panel body is setting on a 50 ford pu frame n it is setting level.
So it looks like I'm going to have to Z the two frame together, to get a flat frame for the panel to set on.
To do this set up I will have to go with a 4link set up on the axle.
What I'm not sure is which way to go for shocks.
1 coil over
2 air bags

With coil over I have no ideal how to go about getting the right type.
With the air bags, same thing.
Have ever done anything like this before.
Any help or thought on this would be of great help

T-P Auto
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thought I would post here to better include information and ideas for your build. The frame kick up does present some challenges. I haven’t noticed any builds with the panel on a 78 frame, though they are probably here or out there somewhere. I think the frame is pretty similar from 73 to 87 so try some Google searches for a Chevy panel on that frame. Not sure of the dimensions so hopefully not too wide.

Guessing you will need to fab mounts is a similar style to what the S10 builds use to raise the body to clear the rear rail kick up. That might raise the front too much, just don’t know without trying it out. Or following another build.

Another random thought is to raise some of the rear floor to clear the kick up. Maybe in conjunction with the fabricated mounts the combination could work.

For rear suspension I would lean heavily toward parallel leaf springs. Millions of vehicles use them as they work and are cost effective.

And hopefully another member here has done such a build and will chime in with their ideas.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote