View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Wiring for a 1969 C10 Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
What they have done is given him the harness for the later year 75 and later trucks. GM used the starter solenoid for the main junction and ran the alternator output wire, the battery charge wire, to the large stud, along with the power wire to the inside fuse box.

They also use fusible links in each of those wires for protection from shorts. He will find out that his battery gauge will not work if he has the gauge dash because he has bypassed the Shunt for the gauge by connecting the battery and the alternator wires together at the same point.

You are correct in that he should only have the battery cable and the purple wire connected on the solenoid, and the other wires should be routed to a main junction like the one you described. I posted a picture of mine below before I removed it and installed a terminal block in it's place.

This is my junction block with the main wires but it is not complete at this point.

Thanks VetteVet. I have seen some pretty cobbled up power junctions with extra stuff added by owners.

It almost sounds to me like the P.O. has a direct short at the solenoid to create that much heat when the key is turned to the run position. Or the solenoid is engaged all the time when the key is in the run position. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help if he has a '73+ wire loom. I'm not familiar with them at all.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote