View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #109
argonaut

Re: All about heaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
NOTE - since this posted at the top of a new page, be sure to check the previous page if you are looking for OEM installation schematics for 1960-63 heaters.

In response to the earlier questions asking about late model heater motor options, I swapped my original for one out of a Pontiac Fiero. The main thing I was looking for was one that rotated in the correct direction. At the time it seemed the only models I could find were those in S10 pickups and the Fiero. The advantage of the Fiero over the S10 is that they are all mounted in the trunk, so they are clean and look like new compared to one that’s been mounted under the hood for a couple of decades.

The heater case required some minor trimming, but the much larger plastic fan fit into the case without modification. The motor itself is the newer permanent magnet design. On high speed airflow is about twice that of the original fan and motor. The rubber hose is presumably for motor ventilation. It doesn't go anywhere in my installation, so I just pointed it downward to keep dust out.

I don’t have any decent photos, but here’s what it looks like installed on an economy heater:

Mark,
When I search online for Fiero blower motors is see two varieties, one with a tall fan (AC) and the other a short fan (non-AC). Do you know which one you used that fit so well? I'm assuming the short, but I'd happily be wrong!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote