The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
ddp

Tailgate band screws

I took off my tailgate band a couple of years ago when I had some body work done, and misplaced the screws. I see vendors include screws with the repop bands but don't see them offering just the screws.

Does anyone know of a vendor selling the black colored trim screws for mounting the tailgate band? Were original ones Philips head or something else?

Thanks,
Don
ddp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Tailgate band screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
I took off my tailgate band a couple of years ago when I had some body work done, and misplaced the screws. I see vendors include screws with the repop bands but don't see them offering just the screws.

Does anyone know of a vendor selling the black colored trim screws for mounting the tailgate band? Were original ones Philips head or something else?

Thanks,
Don

Can't say as I've seen them alone. I believe they are a Phillips #6 oval head screw.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
ddp

Well, I'm wondering now. You would think that they'd be the same as the two screws used at the front and rear of the front fender and rear bedside lower moldings. I replaced my lower moldings a couple of years ago with NOS pieces I picked up, and those had oval head torx (T-15) screws in the sealed GM packaging. But maybe, that's what they started including with later replacement moldings.

Could I bother someone to check their original tailgate band to see what's holding it on?

Don
Old 06-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
Well, I'm wondering now. You would think that they'd be the same as the two screws used at the front and rear of the front fender and rear bedside lower moldings. I replaced my lower moldings a couple of years ago with NOS pieces I picked up, and those had oval head torx (T-15) screws in the sealed GM packaging. But maybe, that's what they started including with later replacement moldings.

Could I bother someone to check their original tailgate band to see what's holding it on?

Don

I put all new trim on my '71 including the tailgate band and have taken off 3 or 4 tailgate bands and lower trim sets and all of the screws were Phillips head. I have never seen a Torx head screw on an original piece of trim.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
SS Tim

Phillips but I don't remember the head contour.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
ddp

I would expect them to be Phillips head, but I just don't remember what I took out of the band two years ago. I wouldn't even be raising this if I didn't find those torx head screws in the GM packaged moldings. Plus, I did find about 5 more screws (torx, same size) in my used screws that I took out of somewhere on the truck.

Did they even have torx head fasteners in the early 70s? Anyway, I guess that's enough about that.

Leon and Tim, thanks for the feedback and the Truck Shop catalog reference.

Don
Old 06-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Interestingly, the GM (phillips) screws in my unopened NOS tailgate band with date of 1977 are stainless not black. Black blends better though IMO and maybe they left the plant with black screws.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote