The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
JimJones

Rear axle advice 4x4

Hey guys
Let's say you were doing a frame off on a 4x4 C10. You also had big plans to run a crate motor and a bad ass 700r4. I'm looking at the Chevy performance crate 427 which is rated at 470hp so let's just say 500hp.

Will a 12 bolt suffice? Or do I need to step up to a 14 bolt or a Dana 60? What upgraded do I need to get a bullet proof 100k mi axel that will withstand the occasional burnout, brake torque, fishtail etc etc without grenading. Once again specs are 500 hp and 33" tires. I have no plans for any extreme abuse but I want to be able to have some fun once and a wile without it costing me a bunch of money in repairs.

To me it makes no sense to spend 1.5k on a 10 bolt rear end and then have it break the first time I burn out.
I remember a buddy of mine built a really nice 3/4 ton Silverado I was directly behind him as he pulled out of the drive thru. There was a little bit of water which made for some nice tire spinning but the instant the tires hooked up to the dry pavement his rear end blew up. It was a horrible sound of snapping crunching and popping.
I don’t want this to happen to me. This is why to me it makes more sense to spend a bit more money now rather than a lot of money later.
By the same token I don’t just have money to burn either so if 12 bolt can be built to withstand this kind of treatment then I'm all for it. I have no desire to haul around the weight associated with an axel built for a Kenworth semi truck if I don’t have to.
JimJones is offline   Reply With Quote