The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Quadrajet

HEAT - original vs. aftermarket system.

My aftermarket heat/AC system was in my 72 Suburban when I got it years ago. It never was able to heat the cabin on cold nights to any reasonable degree. Now the blower motor is not working, and it appears as if is this is probably an old (maybe Gen 1 or 2) vintage air system that needs to be completely removed in order to put in a new blower motor. (Vintage Air was not much help in ID'ing what I've got - it seems they just want you to buy a new Gen 4 system..)

Since I already have rear AC, should I just replace the aftermarket stuff with the original heater core and parts? Will it heat better? Did the original systems heat Suburbans on cold nights OK? I'm just not real enthusiastic about doing all that work to an aftermarket system and putting it back in so I can shiver inside the truck a LITTLE less - but indeed the time has come for me to make a decision here..
Quadrajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: HEAT - original vs. aftermarket system.

The OE heater in the old burbs is minimal at best, though it will keep the front seat occupants feet toasty. The people in the back suffer, and have to wear jackets. It's not bad, but it is nothing like the new stuff.

I spent many nights in the back of my burb as a kid, and always wore a jacket and had a sleeping bag in the back.

I have since insulated the floor, and the side panels with sound deadening materials. I have noticed quite a difference after doing that, not only with the hot/cold but the noise.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Quadrajet

Thanks. I have no rear seats and rarely even have a passenger. The system /i have in there now won't even keep ME warm on a 30 degree night in Virginia - even with a jacket. What I am really wondering is how much improvement there will be by installing the old heater from my 70 Chevy parts burban...

Anything ever produced as an auxiliary electric heater - rear defogger?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Actually there was a rear heater option, and I have only seen it discussed here.
Never seen one in person, but from what I remember there was heater hose lines running rearward to feed a second heat radiator/blower.

There are also aftermarket heaters, and you can usually find them on the off road accessory websites.

If your OE heater isn't getting hot, then I would replace the heater radiator and blower. At the same time making sure the vent system is clear of debris.

Mine will actually make my boot sole gooey if I leave it next to the vent long enough.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Street Smart

I installed vintage air heat/ac when i first got my Suburban I was never really happy with the heat. I hung a rear ac from an`80s suburban that helps keep it really cold. I know the aftermarket rear units in conversion vans also have a heater core. I thought about using one of those but don`t really like the idea of more hoses running to the back of the truck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
gearboxx70

Thanks, vectorit, for the advice about cleaning out the heater box and such. My factory box barely puts out any heat, and I was just thinking there was something wrong withe the water pump not flowing enough water in the heater's direction. I think I once heard somewhere the water pumps on the I6 engines don't send enough water to the heater. Or... I could just be imagining that rumor.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Make sure you have the correct thermostat in it and it is working correctly also. The original heater in my '67 with the 250 I6 works fine.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
gearboxx70

What temp should it be? There wasn't a thermastat in it when I got the truck. I went down to the NAPA store and got the one they said was factory correct.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Yerboogieman

The heater in my suburban works fine. Enough to keep me decently warm. The only complaint I have is the defroster tubes are way too short and finding a couple in good shape is difficult. I was thinking of buying aftermarket so I could heat the whole thing. I think the fan switch is dead. I just have a wire to the fuse box to turn it on at the moment.

This "new" wiring harness my uncle put in 15 years ago, is soooo nice....... NOT!

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4 Build Thread
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Kevin McPherson

the heater in my 67 kept me Toasty, even in wyoming at 15 below on the way to work. I just had to keep the holes and vents closed
Kevin McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Quadrajet

Since I have a 1970 Chevy parts Suburban, I think my plan now is to remove the entire heating system from that and put it into my 1972 GMC.

Sadly, this truck must go to the crusher soon. It has no powertrain, but has two really nice doors, a nice hood and grill, and the fenders can be worked with..
Old 12-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
gearboxx70

@ yerboogieman...

LMC Truck has some decent heater/defroster tubes, and carries a repop fan switch. I used both in my '71 K5 Blazer, and both fit/worked well. Okay, the switch worked well after I found the short in one of the wires.
I've noticed the moisture that get into the cabin on most of these trucks corrodes the inside of the heater fan switches.
Just my .02.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxx70 View Post
What temp should it be? There wasn't a thermastat in it when I got the truck. I went down to the NAPA store and got the one they said was factory correct.
-
I run a 195º thermostat in just about everything I own.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
gearboxx70

Thanks, LocDoc! I think they sold me the 180 or 165 at NAPA. I just got what they had listed in the computer since this is my first 292 in many years, and there wasn't even one in the neck when I got the truck.
As a side note... I did test it before install. I have a decent kitchen thermometer (the kind they use in commercial kitchens). Its accurate within a couple degrees. And I always test thermostats right out of the box. I've had 2 brand new ones in recent years that were bad before I even installed them.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks, LocDoc! I think they sold me the 180 or 165 at NAPA. I just got what they had listed in the computer since this is my first 292 in many years, and there wasn't even one in the neck when I got the truck.
As a side note... I did test it before install. I have a decent kitchen thermometer (the kind they use in commercial kitchens). Its accurate within a couple degrees. And I always test thermostats right out of the box. I've had 2 brand new ones in recent years that were bad before I even installed them.
No problem, keep us posted...

LockDoc

-
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I found that the heater blower dose not blow as hard as the AC & heater together.Ever sence i made the mistake of buying the one ment for the AC cab but i had heat only man I barbecue my truck and the suburban But i do see i have massive heat lose if i turn it off so insulation the doors and back might have to be done my 1968 3 door suburban special order from Chevy dealer for a AVON lady request Pink on white now samon color now

the 1972 is the one i made the mistake on using the AC blower motor on and cooked my Butt got the truck up to 140 degrees.But it has new heater core new radiator New motor all new hoses new Heater controller and cables new flap and ducting under dash of that Blue truck
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
gearboxx70

So I believe I found the heating problem in my Burb...

Not the thermastat...

Not the electrical stuff...

Not a stuck damper...

But... THIS...

And of course, I didn't think to order a re-seal kit before I pulled it all apart. SIGH.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
gearboxx70

If I held that stuff in a ball, it was about 8" in diameter. Apparently, when my truck was still on the farm, my heater box was being used as a Habitrail!
Since I didn't have the seal kit, I use a little silicone. Not an ideal replacement for the proper seals since I plan to tear her down and restore her one day. But I HAVE HEAT!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
vectorit
What?

Good to see you are back in business!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
gearboxx70

Me Too! However, I still need to take your advice and change out my thermastat. I have heat, but I'd like a little more.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
If I held that stuff in a ball, it was about 8" in diameter. Apparently, when my truck was still on the farm, my heater box was being used as a Habitrail!
Since I didn't have the seal kit, I use a little silicone. Not an ideal replacement for the proper seals since I plan to tear her down and restore her one day. But I HAVE HEAT!!

That is a nice one. That will stop the heat every time..... Did they chew a hole in your blower squirrel cage? They usually do.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
gearboxx70

They only chewed one of the blades, and actually only about a third of it. It seems to still be pretty well balanced. Maybe better balanced than it was when new!