The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
jamieg

56 GMC panel guru's?

I have been shopping around for a new project and i came across a 56 panel that my brother in law has. It was laying in some pretty deep muck when we rescued it about 15 years ago, and i forgot all about it until now. There is a fair amount of rust on it but i am wondering how hard patch panels are to find for it.

Also on the drivers side outer roof panel has a hole in it and am worried about the front pillars. I see the passenger side is rusted through. I am not too concerned with the amount of work involved in patching the rust on the lower part of the truck, as i am getting a project to hopefully get the family involved with (except the wife she likes to cruise but hates getting dirty). Does anyone have any advise for rust repair on pillars and roof, or if its even feasible to do it?

I have not tried to dig up parts for this year of truck so i'm just testing the waters.

Oh and here's the pics

jamieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 56 GMC panel guru's?

I would guess that everything from the beltline down is similar to truck fleetside beds except for maybe the rear corners below the taillights. It would be easy to make a cardboard template and compare it to a stock fleetside. Front cab stuff and doors are the same as trucks. I think the roof is one piece. Get a factory assembly manual, it shows how the panels were put together and all the unique pieces needed. Someone here last year was building one and had one or two parts rigs that he was keeping the uniques stuff off of, like the roof section, incase he needed one or someelse did. A site search should turn up the thread, it showed him cutting up the donor rig (don't cringe, it was well beyond saving). Good luck.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
GRIMSS

I'm working on a '56 and was lucky that the panel body is pretty rust free. Now for the steps, toe board, fire wall, and cowl, its another story.

The only patch panels you can buy are the ones that are shared with the truck cab. Behind the truck cab your on your own. You'll have to find a donor for those. Fleet truck bed may work but they are almost as hard to find as the panels. I've heard of some using door pach panels and rocker patch panels to make there own. Maybe the step side fender could be used for the wheel well.

Nice truck to start with and good luck.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
57ToyBox

Hey Jamie
You can do it bud, anything can B saved. WELL, almost anything. Depending how bad you want it, and how must $$$ you are willing to through at it. LOL
I can understand The pillars can B
a lil daunting and intimidating.
They have to be done right and done exactly or as close to the way it was originally in order to fit the windshield.
Jamie
If after you test the waters and you decide this projects not for you? LMK I'm only next door in ONT. I luv these trucks and I'd like to look it over. I'd hate to see it go to scrap.
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
jamieg

Door and rocker patch panels, that might just be the ticket!

i was able to scout a 55ish truck in a scrapyard of my buddies, but i wasnt able to get ahold of him. Maybe i can use a donor cab for the roof and pillar repairs and get creative with door patch panels and i might have to mold up some rear metal. Basically its just the bottom 2 inches and the front roof and pillar. Thats not much right?....right ??

and then i get some news at work today of more cuts and going down to a 4 day work week. So more time to work on a project but now no money to get supplies. Screw the economy i say we go back to barter and trading!! Anyone wanna trade patch panels in trade for work, im dual ticketed, automotive and heavy duty lisenced mechanic
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
57ToyBox

NICE .... Good luck on the possible doner truck.
Hope the work situation works out for you.
I agree on the bartering Good idea Trade for parts and services
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
50MOTORHEAD

Jamie
Glad to see your post. I usually build 56 and 57 chevie trucks. I just bought a 55 short 1/2 ton panel,,,GMC. I am in the process of looking for grille and bumper. Man,,,stuff is HARD to find for these 'jimmies'.
I REALLY hate to do it but I have a dash and front clip that will make this truck into a Chevy,,,,,I have a feeling that this would be much easier,,but I would like to keep it GMC.
Keep us up to date and keep the pictures comming.Thanks-Keith
Ps,,,Let me know if you run across another grille and bumper,,,He-He
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
jamieg

50 motorhead

i'm actually partial to the chevy front end and thought about a conversion. I can just feel the hate mail starting up now LOL

but i may have to keep this on the back burner until work gets figured out may be a year now until i can get started on it.

I subscribed to Grimms build and watching and learning.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
CAL 58 GMC

Cool project! A friend of mine bought one about a year ago. He wanted to make it into a extended cab El Camino type truck and ask me for a concept photo so I found a pic of a panel and did a chop on the photo. Heres the picture I came up with for him.
Attached Images

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 05-27-2009 at 10:58 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
jamieg

i have the original pics of that truck on my computer LOL, i was trying to put my ideas into a rendering but i suck at photoshop.

i wanted the same red color but behind the windows wrapping around the back have it black

Last edited by jamieg; 05-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
57ToyBox

Nice work on the photoshop but I think it looks better as is

Any updates Jamie ???

I had this same truck as my computer wall paper too

Last edited by 57ToyBox; 06-05-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
jamieg

no updates yet, kinda waiting to see whats going on with work. I work in the unstable oilpatch so the next few months are kinda sketchy. I doubt i will be able to go get it until next year thanks to all the economic chaos going on at the moment. Its at my brother-in -laws till then, maybe i'll get lucky and he'll start some rust work
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
57ToyBox

Sorry to hear about the uncertainty in your job. Hopefully since GMC bankruptcy it might be the turning point in this economic slump.

yeah I'm trying to be the optimist here LOL

Well instead of updates.... What did you have plan in this build? Hot Rod ? 4X4 or just a every day driver?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
jamieg

i was thinking something along the lines of a 5.3l slammed and all smooth(small chop? cant get it right in photoshop). This project i am hoping will also be hands on with my kids to teach some skills, but they are pretty young yet, but i think teaching at any age is beneficial. My daughter loves helping me work on my truck now, and will do anything to get her hands dirty with it LOL

I have been wanting to do a 55,6,7 since i was a little guy i just love the look of them. I was originally digging for a 55 shorty pickup, but wanting the family more involved with it (in building and cruising) i thought a panel or burb would be a pretty decent compromise, altho a panel still only has 2 seats LOL

add windows?...hrmmmmm

as you can see im still all over the place on this idea

Last edited by jamieg; 06-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.