The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Shorty™

Newest addition to the family. Needs a little love, but I got a pretty good deal on 'er.

It's an 84 w/ a 305/700R4. It'll likely stay that way, as it's my new daily. A bigger/built V8 will just give me lots opportunities to take pics of it at the gas station.

Gonna pick up some spindles and get the front end down a few more inches.

Picked up a set of factory rallies for a song. Gonna dump the 80's Weld wheels that are currently on it.

Interior needs a little work, but it's not too bad. Needs door panels, carpet and a new dash pad. The seat was just recovered, so that's a plus.

Family photo op. (note the Sled sitting in the garage)

Eventually, I plan to 86 the Quadrajet that's on it and go with al TBI fuel injection set up w/ electronic ignition. Should net me a few more MPG's. I've heard that 20 mpg isn't unheard of w/ this combo.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Re: Shorty™

Cleaned up the interior tonight. Painted and swapped in a different gauge bezel out of another parts truck. The one that was in the truck originally was destroyed by the PO via hatchet-job stereo install.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
luifer76

clean looking truck man...
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Thanks, Gents.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Pop's C-10

Nice shorty
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

I like it.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Kick ass! Ordered some 3" spindles from Kris @ The Suspension Source yesterday and they were sitting on my doorstep today when I got home. Gonna tear into the front end on this thing this weekend and get it down a few more inches.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=528010
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
luifer76

throw some bags on this thing while u at it and get on the ground....
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Nah. Not really into all that.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Well…that kinda sucked.

Busted ass all weekend on the truck. Completely rebuilt the front end, steering box to idler arm, tie rod to tie rod, ball joint to ball joint. Since I wanted to get the front end down a few more inches, I decided that this weekend would be the most convenient time to throw on a set of drop spindles, too. Got the passenger side done, but it didn’t look any different, height-wise. Chalked it up to the truck being up on jackstands and started working on the driver’s side. That’s when I realized what was going on…

The truck already had drop spindles on it. :d’oh!: I assumed it was on dropped coils up front.

So basically, I spent $230 on spindles that I didn’t need. Cut a coil off the drivers side spring, installed my *new* drop spindle and wrapped up the driver’s side. Then went back and tore apart the passenger side…again…and cut a coil. So now I have a set of 2.5”-3” drop spindles hanging around my garage. I have no idea what brand. I’ll clean them up and see if I can tell, but I think I’ll toss ‘em up on Craig’s List and see if I get any bites. If not, I’ll hang onto them for a future project.

Once I got it all put back together I got to looking at the Prostars that were on the truck when I got them. In addition to the massive amounts of curb rash, 3 out of 4 had bent lips and one of the fronts had most of the inside lip ground off (now I assume it was due to rubbing on the LCA because of the spindle). Wasn’t crazy about the Prostars in the first place, so I started hunting a set of tires for the rallies I picked up. As is typical in these types of scenarios, no one had any of the “cool” sizes of tire in stock and I needed this truck back on the road by the end of the weekend, so I settled on a set of 215/70/15’s. Not too bad looking. Wish the rears had a little more meat, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Pics to follow.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
AntiGov

looks good ....nice collection of squares...
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Thank you, my Brotha.

I'd still like to bring it down another 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, but it'll do for now. Not sure how much more I can chop off those springs. I already hacked off 1 coil. The rear will be easy to take down w/ a set of shackles, though I don't think I'll be able to get away with an un-notched frame. One of these days when I get motivated enough I'll tear into it.

Also not sure how long the rallies will stay. Thinking about saving my pennies for some Torque Thrust D's.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
AntiGov

i would like to do find a 2wd sbox someday....but first i need to get my crew back together....its in a million pcs all over the garage..
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice, clean truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGov View Post
i would like to do find a 2wd sbox someday....but first i need to get my crew back together....its in a million pcs all over the garage..
Yeah...so is mine.

I just needed a new daily and happened to stumble across this one. Couldn't pass it up. I paid a little more that I probably should have, but whaddayado?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Starting to realize this truck is like a hot chick with “daddy issues”. Real nice to look at, but once you start to get to know her, WHOA NELLIE!

She's gonna need some work...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
Starting to realize this truck is like a hot chick with “daddy issues”. Real nice to look at, but once you start to get to know her, WHOA NELLIE!

She's gonna need some work...
Lol! Sounds like half of my past relationships...and vehicles.
mccurrkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Yeah, it’s been fun so far.

Flip kit was all half-assed. Surprised the rear end hadn’t fallen out of it already. Fixed that, but noticed I have a slight "dog track" issue that I'll have to address soon.

Trans was shifting really soft/sloppy. TV cable was doubled over and held in place w/ a zip-tie. Fixed and adjusted by the trans shop.

Rebuilt the entire front suspension/steering system before it fell off (I literally had about 4"-5" of play in the steering wheel). Dropped the steering box to replace it and noticed I had the notorious stress crack in the frame behind the box. Gonna have to get the bracket kit to address that sooner rather than later.

A/C wasn't working. For fat guys who live in the desert, A/C is a must. Leaky main hose. Replaced hose, charged system and now my nipples are harder than diamonds, even when it's over 100° outside.

Wheels are ****. Came to dig the Prostars that were on it, but they were all bent and curb checked pretty bad. The front two were a safety issue and needed to be replaced. Discovered Weld no longer makes the Prostars in 5 on 5, so after coming up skunk on CL and Ebay, I ordered two 15x7 Ultra Octanes. They look good, but they are different enough from the Prostars to send me into an OCD tantrum. Gonna have to order a set of 15x8's for the rear. Wanted 15x10's, but apparently Ultra no longer makes them in a 5 on 5.

Issues on the horizon...

Fuel gauge works when it wants to. Pretty sure I have a bare spot in the sending wire somewhere. Passenger side tank doesn't work ever. Possibly either the cab switch or tank solenoid. Not sure which yet.

Temp guage doesn't work. Probably has something to do with that crispy ass wire that's hooked to nothing and just flops around in the breeze.

Idles like ****, uses a ton of fuel, gutless as hell. TBI swap is imminent/necessary.

Serious rust issues from the cab back. About an inch of Bondo in the drivers rear lower quarter panel, bed floor is real patchy. First time this CA-boy has seen a step bumper rust apart. Front half of the truck/frame is solid and rust free. Pretty odd. Makes me think the bed/bumper may have come from another truck. May end up sourcing a local bed and having it painted...I don't know yet.

Needs front and rear bumpers. Front bumper is bent, rear step is rusted out. Plan to go with a smooth Sub bumper in the rear.

Interior needs a dash pad, door panels, carpet and HVAC registers. Seat was recently recovered, needs some work in the support dept. I sink about 6'-8" when I sit in it. I have a buddy w/ and upholstery shop that's going to take a look at it for me.

Headlights need adjusting. Most of the adjustment clips are broken/missing. Makes driving at night an adventure.

Supposedly it has a really nice system. There's two Audiobahn 8's w/ an amp behind the seat and it has a nice Sony head unit. Unfortunately, none of it works. I'm sure it has something to do with the way it was wired. Looks like a raccoon got a hold of a roll of electrical tape. Gonna have to yank it all and start from scratch.

...and I'm sure there will be more little treasures to discover as time goes on. It's not all bad. I'm having fun with it. It beats the hell out of driving a Ford Taurus.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Don't you love fixing the previous owners F#CK ups?
Sometimes it's easier to buy a nice clean stocker and do it all yourself.
(but they are getting really hard to find)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Yeah. Actually, this was the nicest one I looked at (that was in my price range).
Old 09-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
mccurrkm

I have got in a few of those situations...it seems they get tired of trying to fix it and get rid of it. Then you have to fix what they screwed up while trying to fix the problem that is still there. It is usually a boat for me though lol
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Got the rear Prostars polished last weekend at the truck stop and picked up a set of look-a-likes for the front. The fronts aren't an exact match to the rears, but close enough. Eventually, I'll buy the two rears, but I have to slow down the spending on this one for now.

I definitely like these better than the rallies I had on it.

Also considering a 5.3 swap. 300 HP and 20+ MPG from the factory. Sounds kinda like a no-brainer.