The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
one3n3my

Angry Has fuel but not starting?

I recently got a 1970 C10 and was running fine after rewiring the entire truck. it's been about a month and now it fires up and then stalls out. And then after trying to start it again, there is nothing. I have already replaced the inline fuel filter and the fuel pump. Could the issue be the sending unit in the tank?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Has fuel but not starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by one3n3my View Post
I recently got a 1970 C10 and was running fine after rewiring the entire truck. it's been about a month and now it fires up and then stalls out. And then after trying to start it again, there is nothing. I have already replaced the inline fuel filter and the fuel pump. Could the issue be the sending unit in the tank?

Any help would be appreciated.
What kind of Carb does it have on it? If it is a quadrajet it will also have a small filter in the fuel inlet where the line connects to the carb. Also take the fuel line loose from the sending unit and where it screws into the fuel pump and blow through it with about 10# of air pressure. Remember, there will still be gas in the line.... There should be a sock filter on the fuel pickup tube inside the tank, it could be plugged up too.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
one3n3my

Hey everyone,
I finally figured out the issue with no fuel but will have to replace the gas tank for it to be fully operational as I think rust is getting into the line and causing blockage to the carburetor. (I replaced the fuel pump, lines and rebuilt the carb and found the rust lying in the bottom)

I pulled out the heater core and blower as it is not working and will need to replace but what should I do with the hoses that were connected to it? I am thinking of just rerouting the hose from the water pump but not entirely sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
71swb4x4

I assume you are going to replace the heater core soon, so for now you can just connect those two hoses. They are different sizes so you will need to get a little creative with your adapters. But then when you install the new heater core it's easy to hook back up.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
one3n3my

Okay, I was wondering if I was able to do that or would need to plug it. Appreciate the help.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
67chevemall

I used a piece of copper sink tube, with 3 O clamps on each side. Did the trick for a few years. Then I bought $.99 brass plugs from NAPA. Screwed them in.

good to have in glove box too! Ever blow a hose just plug and go.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote