The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
djferrari

Hi all

Hi all,

Not sure if you saw DJ's intro, but this is his dad again. He is now the official owner of a 1969 Chevy Stepside Shortbed pickup. The truck has a 350 and an automatic trans. It is going to needs lots of work, but it is what it is.

Our initial need is the brake light wiring harness, and everything back from there. The harness, lights, housings or lenses. Any info on parts places to get it all would be much appreciated. He is a 16yo on a very tight budget (well, of course dad is going to help out too).

He will be here lots picking your brains, he is very excited.

Dino AKA Dj's dad.

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-31-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Need to be a Premium member to post WTB
djferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Shinysideup

Re: Hi all

Hello.
You need to be a paid subsciber and post in the proper forum for WTB/For sale ads.
Good luck on your new project.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will describe all of the subscription options....

Also, Here is the Vendors Marketplace forum for parts vendors.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...ysprune=&f=195

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
jeffahart

Sorry you were crapped on for your first post.

You will learn there are several placed to get parts, new and used. Let me tell you about LMC and why they are important in this market. Check out my link. LMC has a drawing for lots of stuff. It's a good starting place to figure what you need and what goes where. You don't have to buy from them but it's a good beginning resource to see how the parts are separated and sold. GMC Pauls, Brothers, Classic Parts, Classic Industries, Truck and car shop. Check out the Vendors in this site, lots of good vendors that come onto the forum and are good people to buy from. Look at the link and you will know what you are going for if you go to a junk yard.

Link

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cb8la.htm

J
Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Sorry you were crapped on for your first post.

You will learn there are several placed to get parts, new and used. Let me tell you about LMC and why they are important in this market. Check out my link. LMC has a drawing for lots of stuff. It's a good starting place to figure what you need and what goes where. You don't have to buy from them but it's a good beginning resource to see how the parts are separated and sold. GMC Pauls, Brothers, Classic Parts, Classic Industries, Truck and car shop. Check out the Vendors in this site, lots of good vendors that come onto the forum and are good people to buy from. Look at the link and you will know what you are going for if you go to a junk yard.

Link

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cb8la.htm

J

He didn't get "crapped on", he got corrected. That's what happens when people (new or old) don't read the rules....

LockDoc

-
Old 08-01-2017, 01:39 AM   #6
djferrari

Wow, Hey shinysideup, sorry to have made a rookie mistake. Glad my kid did not read this. I was just trying to help him out. Maybe he better not post here after all.

Thanks Jeffahart for the info. Will pass it on. Just could not remember names of companies.

I thought maybe somebody would see this, move it if needed and help the kid out, maybe not.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
djferrari

And Locdoc, sure felt like I was being crapped on. But thanks anyways for the correction.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by djferrari View Post
Wow, Hey shinysideup, sorry to have made a rookie mistake. Glad my kid did not read this. I was just trying to help him out. Maybe he better not post here after all.

Thanks Jeffahart for the info. Will pass it on. Just could not remember names of companies.

I thought maybe somebody would see this, move it if needed and help the kid out, maybe not.

Thanks.
No, No this has gone sideways. I just posed in response to post one, post 3 came in as I was typing.

Look sometimes guys get overzealous. That was maybe post #2 but he is still correct. LocDoc is a good dude. He is a great resource and a moderator. He is just pointing out the facts.

Stay, there are a lot of good people here. I just did not want you to get a sour taste your first post. You will see. This is a great forum.

I did not intend to stir the pot. But I did. It's on me.

Keep on truckin!

j
Old 08-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #9
truckster

Welcome to the board. You and your son will be fine here; there are just a few rules you have to be careful about.

So what's up with the brake lights? Do the tail lights or turn signals work? There are a number of places that sell the rear body harness, but new wiring isn't what I would consider budget-friendly. I would check out pick-and-pull places locally, or maybe someone who's parting a truck would be willing to sell you one. You can look in the for-sale section of the board without being a subscribing member. That might be a good place to start.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 AM   #10
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djferrari View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if you saw DJ's intro, but this is his dad again. He is now the official owner of a 1969 Chevy Stepside Shortbed pickup. The truck has a 350 and an automatic trans. It is going to needs lots of work, but it is what it is.

Our initial need is the brake light wiring harness, and everything back from there. The harness, lights, housings or lenses. Any info on parts places to get it all would be much appreciated. He is a 16yo on a very tight budget (well, of course dad is going to help out too).

He will be here lots picking your brains, he is very excited.

Dino AKA Dj's dad.
Welcome DJ and Dino, We are all overzealous over our trucks and you have in fact found the best resource paid or unpaid. Lots of great people, great resources for getting answers, most in real time and others buried in old threads. I think anyone who has paid the membership think it is worth its weight in gold. I know for myself I have met great people, many new friends, have found every part imaginable from people who part stuff out, vendors who hang out here. I would highly recommend membership, but not necessary to enjoy the fellowship and comradery feel free to ask away. There is nothing like a father and son project. I would also highly recommend finding a Service Manual and Factory Assembly Manual. These are invaluable for all kinds of components associated with your new truck!

We all love pictures! Post some soon!

Peace,
AI
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
harpo231

Ya Doc is cool , Just doin his duty , If we get all loose with rules ,well thats anarchy like a yahoo chatroom !
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
hdff

Welcome to the forum from Texas, there's lots and lots of good info here. We all make mistakes, just put it behind ya and go on .... there are lots of knowledgeable good people here.. And remember there are NO dumb questions!!!

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Welcome and you have found a place with more info and knowledge than anywhere on the web.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
And remember there are NO dumb questions!!!
That's not what my wife tells me when I ask her a question.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #15
rockyrivermark

Omg. Guy just asking where to buy parts. Not necessarily used parts on this board and zero mention of trying to sell.
Take a step back people.
Here's the vendors I used. There are many others. These trucks are very popular and hence a market need for parts. Ton of good suppliers out there.

Brothers trucks (good quality for what I got from them )
LMC. Cheap parts but their catalog pics are helpful as noted before.
Bow tie bits
Classic industries
Gmc Pauls
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Omg. Guy just asking where to buy parts. Not necessarily used parts on this board and zero mention of trying to sell.
Take a step back people.
Here's the vendors I used. There are many others. These trucks are very popular and hence a market need for parts. Ton of good suppliers out there.

Brothers trucks (good quality for what I got from them )
LMC. Cheap parts but their catalog pics are helpful as noted before.
Bow tie bits
Classic industries
Gmc Pauls

If you will notice I edited the first post to remove the WTB reference. I do not need to take step back. Please do not make comments on moderation if you do not know the whole story....

Thanks,
LockDoc

-
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
djferrari

Hey guys,

It's Dino again. DJ has had his nose buried in every magazine he can find. I am very sorry to have gotten off on the wrong foot here. My bad. I have been part of other boards and should have known better. Thanks to all who replied.

I appreciate the info on the parts places, I will order some catalogs. As far as the harness, I don't know of many parts places around here, but we will try.

The issue is not a bad wire, it is a lack of any wires. LOL. Who ever had the truck before basically took off the harness at the plug under the bumper, so there is nothing after that. No bracket, housing, lenses nothing. Which may be good, as we can make sure it is all good from that point back. My hope was that somebody here might have frenched in a set of tail lights and have the stock ones collecting dust in the garage.

The wiring in the cab is a mess. Wires cut, hanging and just not there. A complete rewire is going to be in order, but that is a ways down the road. He is a high school kid just wanting to do what I did with my dad 35 years ago, get something that we can work on together and make it his.

Thanks to all who replied, and I again say sorry for the bad first impression.

We have an issue with the linkage and the steering column shifter not being able to get the tranny into gear, but that is for another thread.

For now, I say thanks to you guys for all the info, and my hope is that DJ will start coming to you guys with questions.

Thanks again,

Dino
Old 08-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #18
clay68c10

Keep an eye out in the classifieds, someone will have a used taillight and/or under dash harness eventually. Or just inquire on a thread where someone is parting a whole truck.

This board is great, I've learned a ton here in the past 10+ years.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for our trucks. Down a ways on the first two posts you will find a link to the larger diagrams you can download....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856

And here is a link to the repair and service manuals you can download and use from your computer. There are too many pages to print out but will be helpful until you can purchase paper copies of them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=558016

LockDoc

-
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #20
el_fantasma

You are welcome to come down and see how mine is wired but mine is a 72 fleetside so they probably are different. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Check with American Autowire or M&H Electric Fabricators. I have used both for pre made factory correct wire harnesses. Plug and play and correct clips and connectors. Good quality products.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #22
ApacheIvan

Glad to see you Dino. I can say from experience that the best investment I have made on my truck is supporting this board with membership. The fellowship here is bar none the best you will find.
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #23
rally

djferrari post up some pics of your sons truck. I can't help you with the wiring but it would be cool to see what you guys are working on.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #24
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
djferrari post up some pics of your sons truck. I can't help you with the wiring but it would be cool to see what you guys are working on.
x2

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote