The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
benbloom

new c20 automatic tough shifting..

hi all, ive just got myself a brand new (1972) chevy c20, with an auto tranny. tranny shifts good, but when going from park to drive, it kinda bumps harshly, and then from drive getting it into park is really tough, i have to use all my strength to get the shifter into park. could this be something in between the shifter and tranny, or something internal?. the guy who sold it to me claims it was rebuilt, any idea why this would be so tough? or is the the norm with these old automatics, my other truck is a 4 speed so i have nothing to compare it too.
thanks all
Ben
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #2
Xeen

Re: new c20 automatic tough shifting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
hi all, ive just got myself a brand new (1972) chevy c20, with an auto tranny. tranny shifts good, but when going from park to drive, it kinda bumps harshly, and then from drive getting it into park is really tough, i have to use all my strength to get the shifter into park. could this be something in between the shifter and tranny, or something internal?. the guy who sold it to me claims it was rebuilt, any idea why this would be so tough? or is the the norm with these old automatics, my other truck is a 4 speed so i have nothing to compare it too.
thanks all
Ben
The trouble is the shifter linkage, it sounds like it is binding possibly from being too short, you will have to adjust it or if it's not length adjustable buy an stainless steel and aluminum adjustable kit from CPP or Lokar.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
Motorfist

I'm having this exact same problem. Sounds like I better crawl underneath.
72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #4
GTSideSwipe

It sounds like it could be part of the linkage or internal workings. You could have someone shift it back and forth while the engine is not running so you can check the linkage. The rough nudge while going from park into gear sounds like your idle might be set to high because I had that until I lowered the idle a little bit. A little nudge is fine but going into park there shouldn't be a nudge at all though... I'm thinking it might not have been rebuilt correctly...

Just my 2 cents.
GTSideSwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

With trucks this old lots of hands have been on them through the years. Some parts may be missing and some "make do" repairs have been done to some.
Do you know that your truck has all the correct shift linkage it's supposed to have? You can remove the rod that connects the trans to the steering column lever then get in and work the shifter back and forth. If it works properly the binding is outside. If it is still hard to work it may be nothing more than gummed up inside the column. You can spray a lube like WD40 or similar into the column past the shift lever and loosen it up. I am including a pic or two of what the OE shift linkage looks like on these trucks.
These pics are courtesy of members of these forums and are correct for these trucks.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Hey Ben,

Spray some penetrating oil into the column where the shift lever goes in. Something with Teflon in it works best. Use the small tube and insert it between the lever and shift collar as much as you can. Then push the lever down toward the dash and pull it back up toward you a few times. This usually loosens it up and improves shifting into reverse and park. The lever has to be pulled back toward you to shift it into park. Let us know if that works....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-25-2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Decided to post info in thread instead of posting link
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote