The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

'70 c10 column shift question

1970 c10 just finished a full restoration and working through the minor issues.
One of which is:
Isn't the column shift supposed to lock into park. By that I mean Shouldn't you have to pull the shift handle inward then shift into drive.
Currently I can just pull the shifter right out of park
Any info appreciated.
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: '70 c10 column shift question

make sure the shift handle inside is lubed and replace the shift bushing at the bottom of the column , then if needed adjust the linkage so it lines up with the "detent" on the bottom of the column . it's a PIA with disc brake master in the way .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
rockyrivermark

Thanks. Linkage is adjust and all of that works good.
Isn't there a Saftey mechanism in place so the shifter cannot be accident bumped and put into reverse?
Pretty sure there is. The shifter itself pivots in slightly inward where is shifter rod meets the column. So you should have to pull the shifter toward you a bit before being able to shift out of park.
In my case that feature isn't working. Just wondering if anyone has repaired this feature and may have some insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
make sure the shift

handle inside is lubed and replace the shift bushing at the bottom of the column , then if needed adjust the linkage so it lines up with the "detent" on the bottom of the column . it's a PIA with disc brake master in the way .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
leftybass209

No safety mechanisms, newer vehicles are spoiling you. If it's all adjusted correctly, then that's as good as you'll get. You can weld and file the notch in order to need a more solid forward pull on the shift lever if you were inclined.

If you're dissatisfied still you'll have to get a new Ididit, Flaming River, etc column with keys so the wheel and shifter will lock out.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
No safety mechanisms, newer vehicles are spoiling you. If it's all adjusted correctly, then that's as good as you'll get. You can weld and file the notch in order to need a more solid forward pull on the shift lever if you were inclined.

If you're dissatisfied still you'll have to get a new Ididit, Flaming River, etc column with keys so the wheel and shifter will lock out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
rockyrivermark

Ok. But why does the shift pull forward then? It spring pivots. No it's not tilt steering though.
I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.
I have 5 year old twins and I don't normally leave it running in park often but thought I would fix it for peace of mind if it was an option.
One thing to had is the steering column was replaced from a 1972 c10 donor truck by PO

Quote:
No safety mechanisms, newer vehicles are spoiling you. If it's all adjusted correctly, then that's as good as you'll get. You can weld and file the notch in order to need a more solid forward pull on the shift lever if you were inclinepd.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
leftybass209

You can acually look at the bottom of the column and see whats happening from the engine bay. Have someone shift the truck out of park and you'll visibly see the only small safety feature on the gated portion of the column, which is the notch that you clear by pulling the shifter forward. After 45+ years of being shifted the metal has most likely rounded off making the shifter easier to slip out of park, rather than having to pull the shifter forward and pull down. That is why I said you could weld it back up, and square it off. However, the effort between a factory new column, and a worn column isn't a significant difference.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
SuperChief

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491049
hope this gets you there....very comprehensive about your problem
SuperChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Thanks. Linkage is adjust and all of that works good.
Isn't there a Saftey mechanism in place so the shifter cannot be accident bumped and put into reverse?
Pretty sure there is. The shifter itself pivots in slightly inward where is shifter rod meets the column. So you should have to pull the shifter toward you a bit before being able to shift out of park.
In my case that feature isn't working. Just wondering if anyone has repaired this feature and may have some insight.

Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't call it a safety mechanism but there is a detent on the lower shifter arm that is supposed to keep the shifter from moving out of park until you pull it back toward you. Your shift tube may be gummed up keeping it from moving up and down.....

Below are a couple of pictures that show the detent. In the second picture (actually both pictures) there is not supposed to be a gap between the two parts, they should be tight together.

Try this:

Spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar (not WD-40) into the steering column, where the shift lever goes in. Don't be afraid to give it a good dousing. After you spray it pull the shift lever up toward you and push it back down toward the dash. It should move up and down a couple of inches. Do this 4 or 5 times. This will help free up any sticking in the shift lever tube. The reason the shift lever moves up and down is because it should be pulled back towards you to shift it into and out of the park position.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
rockyrivermark

Leftybass
You were right on the money. It absolutely is a safety feature GM developed to keep a running truck/car from accidently being bumped into reverse or child pulling on the shifter.
It was worn down just as you thought. I just drilled a hole and put in a 10-24 pan head and nut and works perfectly.
I was expecting it to be internal in the column.
Simple fix. I'm one of the guys who wants all aspects of my restoration to work as it did from the factory.
Thanks for the info. That's why this is such a great forum.
RRM

Quote:
You can acually look at the bottom of the column and see whats happening from the engine bay. Have someone shift the truck out of park and you'll visibly see the only small safety feature on the gated portion of the column, which is the notch that you clear by pulling the shifter forward. After 45+ years of being shifted the metal has most likely rounded off making the shifter easier to slip out of park, rather than having to pull the shifter forward and pull down. That is why I said you could weld it back up, and square it off. However, the effort between a factory new column, and a worn column isn't a significant difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rockyrivermark; 06-25-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Leftybass
You were right on the money. It absolutely is a safety feature GM developed to keep a running truck/car from accidently being bumped into reverse or child pulling on the shifter.
It was worn down just as you thought. I just drilled a hole and put in a 10-24 pan head and nut and works perfectly.
I was expecting it to be internal in the column.
Simple fix.
Thanks for the info. That's why this is such a great forum.
RRM

Posted via Mobile Device
Glad To hear you figured it out!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
SuperChief

Any possibility of a pix "StoneyCreek"? I may have to fix mine sooner than later.
TKX from a fellow Buckeye....
Old 07-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #13
rockyrivermark

Here's a pic by request of the 10-24 machine bolt and nut fix for the worn detent
First pic is in park
2nd pic was in drive
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #14
rockyrivermark

Pics!
So hard on a phone sometimes.
I did use a stainless bolt so it wouldn't wear as quick
Mark
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #15
SuperChief

Thanks, I probably could have figured it out, but a picture is worth a thousand words especially if you happen to be 75 years young.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #16
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
Thanks, I probably could have figured it out, but a picture is worth a thousand words especially if you happen to be 75 years young.
No problem young man. Glad to help.
Posted via Mobile Device