The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
stick72

Some assembly required……

After reading the boards for months, I took the plunge and purchased a 72 Blazer. I had looked at several, but most had unknown cosmetic repairs done, and decided that at least with this one, hopefully most of the issues were at least visible. It’s a bit rough, but I’ve seen folks resurrect worst and figured I would give it a try.
The tub seems reasonably good. The bed floor is solid except for the last foot or so. The one remaining door aligns well, although I haven’t been brave enough to loosen the top. The rocker boxes, while needing to be replaced, are certainly stable at this point.
I know I need to replace the bedsides, tailgate, inner/outer rockers, rocker boxes, doors, and patch the floors, etc.
Although I’ve done a couple frame off’s before, I’ve never done a convertible, so I get a little nervous about doing something out of order and ending up with alignment issues as I progress.

I was trying to plan out the proper order to continue with and I’m hoping to get a perspective from some people that have been down this path before.

-Pull body off frame , remove the rear bedsides, and get the frame and remainder of the body media blasted.
-Put the body back on frame with new body bushings, repair the rear floor, and loose install new bedsides/tailgate. Put the top back on, square the bedsides, align doors, and tighten everything up.

I could then move on to the inner/outer rocker panels and rocker boxes. I guess this is also a bit of a mystery to me as well, but it looks like you do the inner/ outer rocker panels first, and the rocker/torsion boxes are the last step.
Attached Images

stick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Some assembly required……

I'm on board for your build. I can't speak from frame-off experience with a K5 but many excellent build threads here. I'd invite the members with the following builds and you are sure to have excellent results. Good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=628612

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645076

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=210641

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 07-09-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added Jim's excellent build
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
stick72

Thanks! I have been doing a lot of reading, so much great information on this site. Luckily I'm only an hour from White House so I plan to spend the weekend there getting ideas and getting started.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
franken

"-Pull body off frame , remove the rear bedsides, and get the frame and remainder of the body media blasted."

Yikes!? What's this remove the rear bedsides? I'd think there will be problems if you do this with the tub on the frame. With it off, things will probably be worse.

I'd replace the body to frame bushings first, then get some opinions after describing "remove the rear bedsides."
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
stick72

Thanks. I probably should have described that better. Looks like guys have repaired the sides using truck sides. or replacing the entire bedside. Probably pro's and con's to either method. I'm definitely looking for opinions on both. I attached a pic of the good side. It might not look that way, but at least that side isn't full of bondo
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Glad to see someone brave enough to tackle a fine southeast specimen. They can't all be Californians. On our build, we only ended up keeping about 30% of the original tub. Basically the firewall, windshield frame, center hump and first quarter of the rear deck were the only bits that survived. Our sequence as previously suggested was to first replace all body mounts, then A-pillar repair, floor board, inner/outer rockers, rear deck, wheel tubs, bed sides, then rocker boxes. Gaps set with top on, then doors off, braces places between the jams, then body off. I think it's a safe sequence and nothing got away from us. I've got a fair number of pics of the process in my build thread in my signature below. I look forward to following your progress.
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
stick72

Thanks for the help Brad. I'm glad I asked some questions, looks like I was about to exactly the wrong thing by starting at the back and working forward. Looks like I have a lot of parts to get ordered!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick72 View Post
Thanks for the help Brad. I'm glad I asked some questions, looks like I was about to exactly the wrong thing by starting at the back and working forward. Looks like I have a lot of parts to get ordered!
No sweat. I'm excited to see you step into the ring with this rascal...she looks like a wildcat. Remember, be strong...they can smell fear.

Last edited by IronCanine; 07-30-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
hemi43

That reinforcement plate does in fact have to be removed to access the cab support. I just used an impact hammer to break the spotwelds, then hammered the plate flat again so that I could re-use it. Spotweld cutters are a great thing, but I only use them on sheet metal that will be seen because they are time consuming to use IMHO.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
That reinforcement plate does in fact have to be removed to access the cab support. I just used an impact hammer to break the spotwelds, then hammered the plate flat again so that I could re-use it. Spotweld cutters are a great thing, but I only use them on sheet metal that will be seen because they are time consuming to use IMHO.
After you remove the plate Hemi is referring to, you will encounter a spacer. I had to torch mine off, couldn t get a tool in there to cut the spot welds. You ll see it in the pictures in post 19 of my build

Also, I would cut the old floor forward to the factory seam, will make for a cleaner install of the patch panel JMHO. Only do one side of the floor at a time

Thanks Pete for recommending me

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-03-2015 at 07:36 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
stick72

Thanks for the advice guys, its helping.

I got the plate off, and ran into the spacer. I tried to figure a way to leave it, or remove and reuse it. Both options failed and I ended up chiseling it off.

I'm getting closer to test fitting, although I'm a bit stuck with what to do at the back of the door. I have backed out the two bolts that secure the bedside, and the bedside will be replaced later. I expected to run the patch panel all the way to butt up against the new bedside, but there is something still attached in there. I don't really want to leave the last couple of inched of old metal there, just haven't figured out what is still in the way.

On a good note, although I will replace the torsion boxes later, they are provided a great deal of support. The drivers side isn't rusted through, and combined with the top still on its holding everything pretty solid as I mock up parts.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick72 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, its helping.

I got the plate off, and ran into the spacer. I tried to figure a way to leave it, or remove and reuse it. Both options failed and I ended up chiseling it off.

I'm getting closer to test fitting, although I'm a bit stuck with what to do at the back of the door. I have backed out the two bolts that secure the bedside, and the bedside will be replaced later. I expected to run the patch panel all the way to butt up against the new bedside, but there is something still attached in there. I don't really want to leave the last couple of inched of old metal there, just haven't figured out what is still in the way.

On a good note, although I will replace the torsion boxes later, they are provided a great deal of support. The drivers side isn't rusted through, and combined with the top still on its holding everything pretty solid as I mock up parts.
The 'B' post area is the most difficult, as you have about 5 or 6 pieces of sheet metal joining in that area. I think I see rust in the lower area, so it will have to be cut out. The metal is doubled in that area so be careful not to cut through both pieces, and DO NOT cut above the spot welds shown. Keep your cut to a minimum of the patch you have. Where did you get your patch panels from?

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
jaros44sr

When you work on your inner and outer rocker panels, don t get rid of the top flange, as your weatherstrip gets mounted on that
Take lots of pics of the areas your working on, will help you to remember how it goes back together
Don t final weld everything until you have your fenders, core support, hood and doors reinstalled to check final gaps

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-03-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
Advanced Design

Looks exciting and challenging....I will be tagging along. Looking forward to a good learning experience.

Remember, they can smell fear...love that advice from Iron Canine!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
hemi43

Make sure you weld some sort of support in to prevent the front of the cab from creeping backwards as you cut all the old metal out. I can't stress this enough !!If you don't do this, your doors will never line up again.
If it was me, I would reinstall the doors before proceeding forward to make sure things haven't moved already. A bit of work now could save you a lot of grief later.
Dan

EDIT;
Take a look at the build tjsblazer did, and you'll see what I mean by the reinforcement I'm talking about. He used the original hinge mount and door latch area to bolt his on, so it didn't have to be welded in.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

Last edited by hemi43; 08-03-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #16
hemi43

I notice you don't have any bracing. It it was me, I would re install the passenger door, and pay close attention to the A-pillar and door frame gap. By cutting out the rockers like you did, the whole front part of the cab will have a tendency to sag rearwards. Just keeping the top on is not sufficient IMHO.
Dan
Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
72blaz

Looking Good!! Following!

Check out my build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560741
72blaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #18
Chulisohombre

Great work so far. I did my rockers with just the top On and my gaps stayed perfect. The top keeps the a puller from leaning back when you
Have the rocker off pretty good. Not everyone is so lucky it sounds like though.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
stick72

Thanks! Made a little progress, got most of the work done on the drivers side, probably still need a little welding/grinding/cleanup but moving on to the passenger side now.

Chulisohombre - noticed you are in Bangor, I used to live about ten minutes from there in Portland, PA. Moved south because I hated working on rusty vehicles. Guess that didn't work out like I planned.....
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
Chulisohombre

I've been in Bangor since 2001. Lived in Portland a couple years off of state street. Good little area. Not a lot of old Chevy trucks left. Depending on when you left I had this truck as a daily driver for the first few years until the salt kick the body's butt. It used to have "the beast" painted down the sides and eyes and a mouth on the front fenders like the world war 2 planes. Yeah I guess you didn't beat the rust down there. It just followed you. Haha
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
jaros44sr

Nice work looks great, keep going

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
raggedjim

It's looking good. I also struggled with the drivers side, especially the rocker panel and getting the a-pillar lined up. Lots of cutting and welding to get it all lined up.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #23
stick72

Had the frame and other parts media blasted, and then rebuilt the drivetrain with new joints, bearing and brakes. Slow work, but now I can turn my attention back to the body.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Looking good. Congrats on the progress. Keep it up. Looking forward to more.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #25
stick72

A lot of assembly has taken place…..but to be fair, I should have posted a bit more frequently, I had two weeks off around Christmas, so I probably got a dozen 10 hr. days’ worth of work done over that timeframe.

I know there all always a lot of questions around replacement panels, and pretty much everything from the tub back is replacement, so I thought I would give my observations around what I experienced.

Overall, I was reasonably pleased with all the aftermarket panels. Do they drop into place, require no fitting, and bolt up perfectly?…..not exactly. However, I don’t really know if NOS stuff would either. It’s a 40+ year old vehicle, tolerances were not as tight then as they are today, so I suspect the assembly line had its share of fitting as well.

My assessment

Bed Floor – I don’t want to say perfect, but I haven’t found an issue yet that I could attribute to the bed floor. Every hole lined up, every captive nut worked.
Bed Sides – Generally pretty good. The annoyance I had is that the bedside would not fit onto the bed floor. The “pocket” that the rear of the bedside has in one case was smaller than the rear bed rear support, and in the other case it was identical. With a little bending I got the “identical” one in, but on the other side I had to drill out the spot welds to spread the pocket to get it on. You would think the folks manufacturing the parts would double check that they fit together. I would say some of the issues I experienced were self-inflicted. I tightened and loosened a lot of things a lot of times. Sometimes it was intentional to confirm fit, sometimes it was a mistake, and I would later find something I forgot to install that would have make since to do first.
Biggest challenge – The area where the bed side, bed floor, rockers, torsion boxes and re-enforcement plates gave me the biggest headache. To be fair, there are about a dozen bolts that need to line up between all of these pieces, but in my case the re-enforcement plates seemed to be always slightly off. Doesn’t mean the plate was the issue, maybe it would have dropped right into place on a different vehicle, but it my case I spent a couple hours per side laying on my back with a Dremel tweaking holes to gets bolts in,

Advice/Things I learned the hard way…
I didn’t chase any threads, but I tried to pre-test every captive nut with a bolt with anti-seize. If you are working by yourself, holding the part with one hand and trying to start a bolt with other, makes life much easier. I usually knew when I ran across one I had missed…….

Bedsides are heavy, secure your work – Even if you think they are positioned and balanced and you can reach for a tool, don’t do it. After making that mistake I always secured the bedside in the ratchet wench I rigged up for removing the top, my penance will be some bodywork on what had been a perfect panel.

Still a long way to go
Attached Images