The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
70ChevyCST

Fierce Gasoline smell in cab again!!

Well here goes again...Had some transmission work done on the old 70 Chevy CST last Friday...a very hot day...(90+) Anyways ....the trans. guy had just test drove it before I got there to pick it up...and it had about a 1/2 tank of gas in her at the time. When I arrived you would have thought someone dumped a 1/2 gal of gas inside the cab....man it was strong...I drove it home...couldn't stand it so I reached out the window and unscrewed the gas cap....I heard the pressure relieve.....pffffff. Well .....that tells me it had nowhere to vent except maybe inside through the sending unit gasket??...Perhaps I have the wrong cap on the truck??? As far as I know it's an unvented tank...Can't see any vent line back there when I swing the seat forward.?...Also....Can't see any evidence of gas leaking anywhere either...It's a new tank and looks like a new sending unit too. I believe the guy that restored the truck replaced all this stuff...Does anyone know if I need a "special" vented gas cap?....Without it will I be experiencing this type of problem...Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote