The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
DKN

Re: Mcgaughys Big Brake Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
aggie91 I have looked hard at Wilwood as well as all the other name brands. Even Baer makes a good looking reasonable priced rear kit. Unfortunately the matching front kit gets really pricey on all of them.

The CPP kit is a real bargain compared to the other brands. If they were to make a matching 13" rear, I would go that way. Since they don't (yet), I am leaning toward the McGaughys combo.
We don’t currently offer a 13” rear brake and we are not planning on it until we have a 14” front brake. The rear brake should be smaller than the front. You do not want the rear brake to lockup and skid. This will cause the truck to spin out of control. Here is a typical example; I bought my Jeep used. It has 12” front disc with 11” rear drums. The rear drums were a special ordered option. The rear always locked up under medium to heavy braking. I tried different adjustable proportioning valves, but always had a problem. The MCPV1 master cylinder worked. It turns out that the rear drums lock up at 350psi so the MCPV1 is adjusted to rear max pressure of 325psi. With this set up my Jeep actually stops super good. I’m very curious is anyone actually driving around with 13” front and 13” rear brakes? How do they actually work? Does the rear lock up first? We would like to know before we start producing larger brake kits.

Thanks, Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote