The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
C15_Sierra

My 1980 Sierra LWB build

Hi, I'm new to the forums and this'll be my thread to document my build. I bought my 1980 GMC Sierra C15 LWB for $900 last month, and my plan is to restore mostly to factory-spec with a few little tweaks. For $900, I got a running truck with a good but tired motor and nice running tranny (useful for moving it around), and it passed inspection last week with flying colors.

The history behind the truck, that I know of is as follows: I know of 2 previous owners, the guy I bought it from purchased it in 1988. It's been in Killeen, TX most of its life, and it shows - all the metal is solid. It was driven by an old man, and had done less than 50K in 23 years. There are a few dents here and there, but nothing I can take care of. It was originally a 6-cylinder/3 speed manual truck that was converted to a 305/TH350 from a '79 Camaro back in the '80s. Still has manual brakes. Truck has 193K on it, but the engine only has 93K on it and hasn't been rebuilt. Transmission might have at some point, it looks newer than the engine Runs like a tired 305, but it starts even after sitting so its good enough to use in a pinch, and the tranny shifts smooth.

The Vision: Not a drag/sport truck, but something that has a little power off the line. Not a work truck, but something that can tow or haul a load every once in a while. Not a restoration, but looks clean inside and out. Streetable factor is high

Plan:

EXTERIOR
-Remove camper top (DONE)
-Knock out/fill in dents
-Respray exterior to factory color (Dark Carmine Red)
-Add chrome front bumper OR paint-match and respray front bumper
-Rear roll pan and add hitch
-Replace windshield
-Replace weatherstripping (DONE)
-Replace right vent window (glass was busted; DONE)
-Replace/repair binding door hinges (DONE - shot with PB blaster, freed up pass. door and drivers door is now 90% free)

INTERIOR
-Re-upholster stock bench w/ Red Cloth (have upholstery and spare '80 K10 bench)
-New dash cap (DONE)
-Found a urethane GMC steering wheel from a newer pickup (OBS maybe), might see how it looks once the interior shapes up
-New carpet/sound deadening
-New audio system - radio, 4 cab speakers - might refurb old radio to include an AUX jack
-New door panels (Not installed yet)
-Sunpro Tachometer (DONE)

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION
-Spray with rust converter/paint chassis black (Part Done)
-Urethane control arm/leaf spring/cab mount bushings (Part installed)
-Shocks work good for now, but repaint for now
-New 5-lug rallys, have original '84 GMC metal center caps
-255/60-15 tires

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION
-Yank the 305 out (DONE)
-Install 5.3 Vortec with 4L60E (DONE)
-3.73 Posi Rear (original = 2.73 non-posi) - not sure if I'm rebuilding my original 12-bolt or trying to source a 5-lug 3.73 posi

Pics from when I first bought it

My boss from work is helping me out with this truck (I'm doing all the work at his shop) and as soon as he's done painting his '84 GMC, mine will be next. Until then I'm going through the truck and determining what I'll need to buy/fix so that I'm not stuck waiting around for parts. I've got my work cut out for me, but I have some fab skills and am able to quickly pick up what I don't have previous experience in.

Any comments/suggestions/feedback would be appreciated. I'll also be using this thread to bounce ideas/questions off you guys to get opinions/answers about the truck. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by C15_Sierra; 03-12-2012 at 11:51 PM.
C15_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote