The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
no moa

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
I think we should really go back to the begining. Lets start out by looking at the basic types of rear suspension available for these trucks.

Leaf Springs These are pretty common, and one of the most used and sometimes under rated. Leafs are widely used because of the manufacturing costs, and vehicle packaging. Leafs do many jobs at one time. They are the locators, front/rear and side/side, and the spring. The 'Instant Center', where the force pushes on the truck, is right at the center oof the front spring mount - non adjustable. The roll center is appx at the same height, and non adjustable. There is some side/side motion due to spring flex. HP threshold is around 400, after that the spring wrap is a big problem. Sway bars, shocks, and bushins can help. Be honest with your build. Once you add traction bars, sway bars, shocks and bushings, you've passed up the cost of link style suspensions.
Leafs can ride great, and handle good. Mary Pozzi won MANY autocross championships with her leaf spring 72 camaro. Keep in mind that the Big three automakers are there to make a profit, and leafs are a low cost, effective way to get the job done.
Great info on leafs, thank you, i'm running stock HD 5 leaf set up in mine. 454/400 with around 400 hp. But i dont' plan to run it to hard. well maybe in a straight line.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote