The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Hey D, We have a spot welder at work but it is stationary. Ours has a few adjustments on it: weld time,squeeze time, and amperage. There is a dummy chart on the side just like most Mig welders. Make sure your work is clamped tight because it will occasionally slide the two pieces around. I want to get one at home, maybe ... I have half a mind to cut out my floor and do a whole floor replacement rather than patch up the remaining passenger side.

When using a mig to spot weld (plug weld aka rosette weld?) punch or drill a 1/4" hole in the top piece for sheetmetal,(larger holes depending on thickness) and remove any paint, dirt,rust , etc on top and between the surfaces and most importantly crank the heat setting on your mig up a bit. Try a couple practice pieces first.

Looking good keep at it

Did you say Yankees?! I have been to a few stadiums but not that one, My wife went to the old Yank stadium.
Dan,

Thanks for the tips! There is very little instructions with the HF spot welder; they do give some information, but there is no nice sticker on the side like there is with my MIG welder. So, I am figuring it out as I go along.

You did such a good job on the floor work, you really want to start over? I am kind of torn between replacing the entire piece I had taped off in the pics above, or just replacing the smaller piece that I cut out. The smaller piece would be easier, and I am not sure I really need to do the whole thing.

I thought I had seen you with a portable spot welder, but I must be thinking about another thread.

And, yes, NY Yankees. I was born and raised in NYC! The new stadium is pretty nice, although the novelty has kind of worn off for me by now. They are going to have a tough year with Jeter and the other major players out of commission. If you ever visit NY again, you should get tickets and check out the stadium.

I am getting more comfortable with the body work now, and things are moving along a bit smoother. I have also gotten more motivated. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to do much this week between the game, a work trip, and a doctors appt and grocery shopping last night. Hoping tonight to get some time, and then tomorrow is shot as well. Maybe Sunday, although the wife is going to try and get me to fix some stuff around the house.

Darien
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote