The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Kodiaks53

Re: Kodiaks 53 / S10 Build

Expected to have a productive weekend on the truck but we all know things happen. Had most of Friday afternoon off so I got all my stuff lined up to work on the exhaust system and the bed wood. So Saturday morning I'm in the shop bright and early. For some reason I decided to get my bed wood done first. My bed wood is American Black Walnut and the story is it was wood my Dad had cut. Then milled by my Uncle Ray. Dad has had it stored for years (Dad is 86) and about 8 months ago he gave it to my brother and me. So I hauled a 16ft tandem axle tralier stacked about 5 feet high to my shop to store it as Dad's storage was about to fall down. Anyway this Walnut is rough cut so I had to cut it to size then plane the top surface and mill (router) the side grooves where needed. This took most of the day but the wood is beautiful. I finally get finished about 4 pm and took a break and then started on mocking up my exhaust. I got to where I was about to hang the mufflers to get some measurments and my oldest son calls and says they have a huge pecan tree in the backyard that just split and fell but is still hanging in the tree. So I go check it out with my chainsaw in hand and this "limb" is about 22" in diameter where it is still hanging up in the tree. So I spent the next 4 hours helping him work up the tree. Needless to say I'm beat!!! Couldn't help but think that the pecan would have made a nice bed wood too!