The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Dirsuper

Where do you want to end up?

Hey guys,

Been around a while, but pretty quiet. I have an '88 K5 I've had for about 15 years. Got a '72 K5 last December, had a shop built earlier this year, and just picked up a '72 C20 4X4 which is already built. I could not pass up the C20 because it is a Cheyenne, same as the '72 K5.

So, I just started the build on the '72 K5. Last weekend I removed the front clip and this weekend I pulled the engine, tranny, and transfer case. My father was a drag racer, so I grew up working on Chevys, built a few budget builds in my teens, then spent 24 years in the Navy. Finally settled and getting back into doing something I love - but don't know too much about. Long way of saying, I will probably ask a lot of dumb questions!

Right now I am trying to decide how far to go with it. The only thing I have decided is that I am not pulling the body off the frame. I'm too paranoid about screwing it up. Besides, this being a CA car, there really is not any rot. I am sure there is hidden rust, but even now that I have it to torn down the level I do, I have not seen any evidence of rot. I had the normal windshield frame and rocker panels, but it was minor and I had that done immediately after I bought it.

First question: If there is no evidence of issues, any reason to rebuild the differentials? I have the service and overhaul manuals for it (the red and yellow ones) and after trying to read the procedure for overhauling the diffs......I had to spend some time with the Silver Bullet and really ponder how far I want to go. So, that's the first decision (I guess). I'm trying to stick with small, inexpensive stuff for about a year. Between the shop, braces for my 13 year old, and a new horse for my daughter for Christmas this year, money is tight right now. I spent a friggin fortune on the shop.

A few pics to kick this off:

First shop before it was done (had to rip out/re lay the driveway to it), and so on.....
Attached Images

Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote