The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
bubbasimms

Issues with restored trucks

Wondering what the general consensus is on restored, modified or rebuilt trucks and how they drive or issues with drive ability you have experienced in your projects.

I am rebuilding a base model 69 short stepside. I have the chassis rebuilt with 71 front crossmember and rear end giving me front disc brakes and power steering. Leaning towards replacing the inline six and 3 Ott with a take out LS and Auto Trans. I have a Blazer tank in the rear and I have done drop spindles, bags and bolt in notch, shock relocating brackets etc. I have mounted the tank on top of the frame to keep it from hanging down so low. I need to raise the bed floor a bit anyway to clear the rear pumpkin so I figured a couple more inches wouldn't hurt to clear the tank. I want it to look good but still ride and drive good. I want it to be my daily driver for the most part.

I have driven many restored and rebuilt vehicles, and all of them seem to have issues. Small issues such as wing windows that are too tight due to new rubbers or power steering that doesn't work at idle, or won't self center coming out of a turn. Weird quirks, thumps, bumps, rattles and squeeks seem to abound in all of them. Some of them shade tree built, some not and some with much larger issues.

The old stepside drove so nice and smooth before with the oil burning six, power nothing, the worn out everything and the saggy springs, I hate to loose that during the rebuild. Obviously the more you change the more issues there are to iron out, but how does everyone enjoy there rebuilt, stock or modified, rides?

Last edited by bubbasimms; 11-10-2017 at 05:13 PM.
bubbasimms is offline   Reply With Quote