The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
chillman88

Best investment with a TBI 454

Hey all,

I bought a 90 suburban with a 454 that will eventually go in my 69 Caprice Classic.

I'm trying to get an idea what would be my best plan of action. I'm just in the idea stage, not quite to planning so ANY help would be appreciated. I have a couple ideas and would like other's opinions. All options will be carb'd (most likely a Q-jet). I'm not keeping the EFI. I know these engines are set up for torque and de-tuned with low compression.

Funds will be quite limited. Unless I can steal a pair of good heads, I'm stuck with either the factory TBI heads or a set of Junkyard Vortec heads. I have read they dont flow much better, but the chambers are smaller which should net me higher compression and a decent ROI.

Option 1.

Slap it in and go (likely what will happen first, then proceed to another option)

Option 2.

Put a set of junkyard vortec heads on it to up the compression, maybe an intake and then run it.

Option 3.

Cam change and factory tbi heads.

Option 4.

Factory tbi heads and different pistons to increase compression.

Option 5.

Highly unlikely, but factory heads and a turbo setup. I've read lower compression is better for boost but I expect the TBI heads to be a major bottleneck here.

What say the masses? I'm not new to wrenching, but new to modifying engine internals.