The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
kerber63

Project "Insert Really Cool Title Here"

Ok, I've been meaning to start a thread for a while now, and now that I'm almost done (again) I don't have many excuses left for not writing this thing up. Like a lot of yours, my '63 started life as a farm truck. My great-uncle was the original owner, I'm its 2nd. My dad and I rebuilt it when I was in high school as a project together and I ran it for about 5 years before deciding it was time to tear into it and do it all again. This current rebuild has been going on for just over 2 years now.
kerber63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
kerber63

Re: Project "Insert Really Cool Title Here"

The first rebuild was pretty typical: small block, T5, plywood bed, good paint. This time around, I wanted more custom stuff that I could put my personal touch on. The first thing I wanted was an under-bed fuel tank. After looking at the aftermarket stuff and seeing what places were offering, I decided to build my own. I had some 1/8" aluminum sheet cut and broke to my dimensions, and had a buddy TIG them together to give me a ~20 gallon capacity. It fits between the frame rails at the rear and doesn't hang too low with lowering springs and blocks - it hangs down just above the bottom of the diff housing. I wanted a trap door in the bed floor, so I put in a screw-in style cap with a vent. The sending unit is a repro stock '63 unit that sits at an angle in the tank. The tank sits a couple inches above the frame, so I had to cut the bed crossmember to fit. The crossmember was reinforced with steel bar.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
kerber63

I did the body work myself, it's something I've done off-and-on at different part time jobs I've had over the years. I reskinned the bottoms of both doors - inside and out. Reskinned the front fenders, replaced the rocker panels and cab corners. Replated the floorpan, patched the visor and areas around the windshield, welded up the mirror holes in the doors. Smoothed out the ripples and dings on the back of the cab from its rough farm life.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
NEWFISHER

It sits nice!
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
kerber63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
It sits nice!
Thanks Newfisher, I had 2" blocks in the back but they made it sit too level so I took them back out. I'm trying to convince myself to put 1" blocks in to see what they do.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
kerber63

Now to the motor. Long story: My dad picked up a '67 F*rd Ranger just before I started my rebuild. Of course we started bench racing - he started talking about building a 460 that'll put me to shame. What do I start thinking? Ok, I'll grab a 454 and we'll see who can talk the loudest. So he picks up a donor truck with a 460 and I score a 454 from CL for $100. I get right on it and start tearing into it so I can get it done. The guy who had it told me it froze up so he pulled it and swapped in a crate motor. For $100 I wasn't going to get hurt too bad if it turned out to be junk. The motor came out of a '90 Chevy 3500 tow truck. Found out the crank had cracked in 6 places and #8 cylinder wall was scored pretty bad. So after going .020 over in the cylinders, and a slight deck job to the heads, I was ready to throw in a Scat crank, Comp RV1 cam, and all the other goodies. I kept the stock peanut port heads because I was stoked at how much torque they can see. I swapped out the TBI and put on my trusty Quadrajet. I got a Quadrajet book by Cliff Ruggles and made some pretty good performance mods. After a few months of messing around, I finally got it fired up - in my driveway, hanging from a cherry picker, sitting on a couple 2x4s. And it sounded great.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #7
kerber63

The transmission. I had a T5 with my smallblock, and I loved it. Overdrive is awesome. Unfortunately, I was afraid that if I even tried to bolt it to the big block the trans would just explode. So I set my eyes on a T56 - double OD. If one OD is awesome, what would 2 be like? (It turns out it's b*tch*n'.) One of the nearby wrecking yards had a '97 camaro z28 with the trans just begging to be pulled out. Because it originally sat behind an LT motor, it wouldn't work with a big block flywheel. So I had a flywheel made to get the whole thing to work, plus I can use a stock camaro clutch. I took the opportunity to swap out my mechanical clutch linkage for hydraulic. Bolted it to the motor and dropped them in the frame. I moved the motor mount perches to the forward location - about 2" forward. There's plenty of room around the firewall, and the shifter ended up in the exact same location as the other motor/trans combination. Perfect!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
kerber63

Here's a couple pics of the motor after install. I picked up a 100 amp alternator and March pulleys to run a serpentine belt (not necessary since I don't have any accessories for it to turn, but cool). I got a set of long tube headers and wrapped them. The frame needed to be clearanced by about 1/4" around the tubes for added security. Turns out, they sat a little low. But I liked it.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Cool truck! Looking forward to the progress!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
rusty76

Me too!
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Ta2Don

Sub'd…. Big Block
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
G&R's57GMC

The headers will be fine ....

until the first speed bump
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
chad64chevy

glad to see you got the thread started, now just got to get it up to date, lol! looks great, hows the turbo coming?
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
kerber63

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
The headers will be fine ....

until the first speed bump
Ha, yeah they were fine, I actually bottomed out on the first pothole in the road. I learned to avoid that lane.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
kerber63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
glad to see you got the thread started, now just got to get it up to date, lol! looks great, hows the turbo coming?
I know, I'll end up cramming 2 years worth of work in about 2 weeks. The turbo's coming along great, I hope to get it on the road next weekend to tune it.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
kerber63

Time for paint! Fast forward through the months of monotonous sanding and filling and sanding and sanding and sanding.The color of my last rebuild was kind of a BLAH blue, so I wanted something with a bit more green. A trip to the local paint store ended with finding a cool looking teal color - Medium Teal Metallic. Plus a slightly Off-White for the 2 tone. We started with the inside of the cab, so I could work on my interior. I wanted to bring a lot of white into the cab, so the headliner ended up white. Check out some later pics, it all came together pretty nice. My dad and I painted everything in the garage and driveway.
Attached Images

Last edited by kerber63; 11-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
kerber63

With the paint and clear on and cured, I started piecing the interior back together. I wanted to get some modern gauges and make them one of the big focus points of the truck. I found some nice Autometer Old Tyme White gauges and picked them up. All electric - voltmeter, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, tach, and speedo. I cut out a piece of old sheetmetal and mounted them, keeping with the stock-ish look of the original cluster.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
kerber63

With the gauges sorted out, it was time for wiring. For the most part, everything was still original, 18-20 gauge. I was planning on updating the headlights and sound system, and all the new wires to run to the gauges, plus I had a bigger alternator. So I gutted everything and replaced every wire with new, 12-18 guage stuff. For the most part I copied the original harnesses, but I changed the wire locations in a few places and added some in others. I made sure to make myself some new wiring diagrams (attached file) just in case I ever had any wiring gremlins (what are the odds?). I ended up with a pretty good rats nest, but it wasn't too hard. I kept the original style harness connectors and plugs.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Wire Harness.pdf (183.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
kerber63

I got as far as I wanted to with the interior, it was time to finish the rest of the paint.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
kerber63

A couple things to point out. Aluminum radiator: I took a chance on an Ebay 2 core, and it worked out great. It was pretty cheap, so if it didn't work I wasn't out much. Hole in the hood: I wanted cold air getting into the motor, but I couldn't find a good way to run ducting through the hood for something like a RAM air setup, so I started thinking about scoops. I got a polished aluminum one from Summit and started planning. With this, it was more than "measure twice, cut once." It was more like "measure 10 times, take a break, measure again, get a second opinion, measure 3 more times, then stand with the grinder running for 5 minutes and try not to panic about what I was about to do." But it lined up perfect.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
kerber63

With everything painted, I started slapping it back together. I put sound deadener down on the firewall and back of the cab, then put jute padding down below the new carpet. The steering column is an Ididit. I reused my old door seals since they already had their shape, and they still looked great.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
kerber63

I know I'm going through this really quick, and there's lots of little things I'm not mentioning. Please ask any questions about anything. Like all of you, I love talking about any little part of my truck.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
1963c-10

Great looking project and nice work on the BBC swap. Did you use the rear engine mounting location or the front? The frame trimming is standard to get a BBC in these frames. Looks like plenty of clearance on the valve covers and HEI. Im doing the same swap in the spring with my 63.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
kerber63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Great looking project and nice work on the BBC swap. Did you use the rear engine mounting location or the front? The frame trimming is standard to get a BBC in these frames. Looks like plenty of clearance on the valve covers and HEI. Im doing the same swap in the spring with my 63.
I moved the motor mount perches 2 inches forward, so the back holes of the perches lined up with the front holes on the frame, and had to drill a new hole in the crossmember for the bottom perch hole. Yep, plenty of clearance all around. I actually had to pull the motor after it was all done and it wasn't a problem at all. One problem I had with the BBC swap was finding headers that cleared the driver side motor mount. I finally settled on a pair from Summit - Summit brand big block truck headers - thinking that I might have to re-route the #1 primary tube. But they fit without any mods, and they were made by Hooker, so I made out pretty good.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
kerber63

With the new wiring, I decided to do the headlamp relay mod that I learned about on this forum. I headed to the local junkyard and picked up a couple handfuls of relays and started installing. One relay was used for low beams and one was for the igh beams. I took this chance to modify the headlight power with a diode to keep the low beams on when the high beams were engaged. A simple diode from RadioShack wired in after the dimmer switch allowed me to throw a lot more light than just high beams alone. I mounted the relays on the grille surround behind the passenger headlight. I also upgraded from sealed beam halogens to a modern style H4 bulb setup. I had to cut some material out of the back of the headlight buckets, but then the new lenses fit perfect in the grille and the bezels fit perfect around them. I put in clear turn signal lenses with orange bulbs to make the front end look cleaner.
Attached Images