The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
Coley

Smile Re: Our Winter so far....Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
When I went to Canada on my honeymoon we drove right in. I had no passport nor did my newly minted wife. We entered somewhere east cascades, not sure where! We had no hotel reservations either. We just decided to make a loop trip and decided if we like a place we could spend a few days if not we could leave. I thought I would spend a couple days in Jasper, it was a one niter.

I guess I still had an American military attitude. Traveled all over Europe with no passport, just my military ID and USAREUR drivers license. I also have been to Mexico, I can't tell how many times, and a passport never even crossed my mind. I haven't been to Mexico for a few years though.

j
Yeah, it used to be that all you needed to cross the border was picture I.D...usually a driver's license, I remember doing that.
Many years ago .....50yrs?....you probably didn't even need that.

Today, they want a passport...coming and going. If you don't have that then you need a 'Nexus' card....which is sort of like a high clearance, vetted driver's license that you apply for.

Overall, I've never had a bad experience at the border....the guys have always been polite and clear and I have worked to respond accordingly.
As usual....you get what you give I suppose.

That said...the border crossing between Victoria and the U.S is a harbor to harbor ferry service from Vancouver Island (B.C) to Port Angeles, Washington state. Its a great 1-1/2 hr ferry ride...always enjoy it either direction.
Takes about 5-10 minutes worth of customs weight then ba-da-bing your on your way.

We are fortunate in that we (The U.S & Canada) have set the worldwide gold standard in country to country relations as neighbors. We share the worlds longest undefended border and have for...what 150 years or more with very few problems or issues.
Its a point of pride and I always think this everytime I cross over to the states to travel and I always work to treat Americans respectfully whenever they are on this side of the line.
I take this as some of the reasons our grandfathers fought side by side in Europe and abroad in the last century...was to protect this very fact and way of life that we clearly share for the better part.

Here's to ya' neighbor!

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote