The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
REDROCKER652002

Gas Gauge or Sending unit

Greetings to all,

I am hoping to help get the next in a long line of issues settled on my son's truck. It is a 69 step side. The issue at hand right now is the gas gauge or sending unit. Just to backtrack, I have replaced all the wiring with a brand new setup. American Auto Wire I think is the company. The box is in the garage and it is too cold for me to walk out there. LOL. Anyway, I checked the wire that hooks up to the sending unit and I have power there. When I plug in that wire and plug in the harness to the back of the cluster the gas gauge does not move. The gauge cluster has a new circuit board, so I don't think that is the issue. I used a square batter, 9 volt I think, out of my meter and clipped a the positive and negatives with a wire. Ran those wires to the posts on the gas gauge and the needle moves left and right depending on what I posts I have the wires clipped to, if that makes sense. So, my thought is the sending unit is bad. Am I on the right track? I searched the forum, and somebody posted that if I use my ohmmeter and touch the positive post and ground to the sending unit flange I should get some sort of reading. I am going to try that once it gets light enough to see. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Again, it is all new wiring and I have power to the wire that clips into the gas tank itself. So I am leaning towards the sender.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dino AKA Dj's dad. LOL.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote