The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
elane352

Rear Drum Installation Problem 64

Greetings,

I have searched prior posts and have not seen anything yet that would address my problem. I apologize if there is something out there and I missed it.

I am wondering if I have ordered the wrong rear brake shoes. My problem is that I cannot get neither a new drum I purchased or the old one to slip over the threads and go all the way back onto the backing plate. A minute portion of the shoes is interfering.

Background

1. I removed the old drum, hardware, and the shoes (only worked on the passenger side rear wheel so far).

2. I replaced all hardware, including the wheel cylinder and the self adjusting pieces (see the 1st pic).

3. The prior owner converted from 6-lug to 5-lug.

4. Brake Shoes - Wearever, 2 inches wide, from Advance Auto; part # is: S228.

4. Drums - Wearever, part # YH1402254. from Advance Auto. The max diameter on the old drum is 11.09 inches. I believed that the new Wearever drum had the same diameter when I placed the order. I see this written on the new drum:

"Max * Dia * 281 * 69MMW5."

I have pictures of both drums (old one is black; new one is silver).

I was concerned initially that maybe I was using an incorrect drum due to not seeing 11.09 inches anywhere. But given that both the old and new drums will not clear the brake shoes, I began to thinks the shoes or the shoe placement were/was the issue instead of the drums.

The emergency brake is still off. The adjuster is closed.
elane352 is offline   Reply With Quote