The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Kim57

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

I didn't have the courage to do mine.
Good luck on the mods.
Kim
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
I didn't have the courage to do mine.
Good luck on the mods.
Kim
Kim...may have to resort to your approach if I fail but the more I read about it and watch YouTube, the more my confidence goes up. Seems to be more of a book keeping effort and with my recent dramatic drop in my hourly rate, it may be near free by the time I finish!!! Stay tuned...dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
ricott

As you said, reworking one of these harnesses is more of a "bookkeeping" issue than anything else. With a good wiring schematic and a list to check off, you can do this. You are definitely on the right track by labeling each wire in the connector block. I like your idea to actually mark the number/letters on the junction block. My eyes nearly crossed trying to see the tiny numbers on those blocks. Looking at the weather today it looks like you have a chance to work indoors on this project! If you want to talk about any of the wiring issues send me a PM and we could discuss.
Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
LSXapache

People blow it out of proportion, it aint rocket science. I did mine on a rainy day in the shop, just spread it out on the floor or large table, keep it from becoming a tangled mess, label as you go, and I found it easier to have a printed copy of the instructions in my hands that I could consult and make notes on.
LSXapache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Very cool build, looking forward to more updates!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
dug224

My buddy Jim came by for a consult and an update on my wiring. Also worked through plumbing the radiator, power steering lines (and PS cooler) and fuel lines. Looks like the 4.2 I-6 fuel lines that came with my frame will clip right onto my 5.3 lines. Will have to massage them a bit to make them look like they came from the factory for the 5.3.

Wiring is close. Decided to keep PCM controls for the factory Trailblazer/Envoy fuel system so had to re-pin a few un-pinned wires per advice from Brendan at LT1Swap.com. Having a bit of a problem getting the DBW gas pedal, associated wiring harness and TAC (Throttle Actuator Control Module). According to what I have read, only an '03 or '04 setup will work with my Engine/PCM. Seems the majority have been crushed. I keep getting the old "we don't inventory gas pedals" comment. Calling all the yards in the country (car-parts.com) that have an '03 or '04 TB, Envoy or Ranier 5.3. I will get one eventually.

LSXapache - I agree. The more I read and the more I look at the wiring, the easier it has gotten. My printed copy and binder have come in handy.

By the way, if anyone is looking for an inexpensive low mile 5.3 LM4 there is one available out of an SSR for $350. It is located at a wrecking yard in Mississippi. Has busted oil pan and water pump. Not sure what accessories are on it. If interested, send me a PM and I will send you the number and name of wrecking yard. I don't know these guys but sounded like they were tired of owning it. More to come...dug
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
dug224

Baby steps....wiring still underway.

Plumbed the radiator. Used the end off of a new '89 to '94 Jeep Cherokee hose for the bottom. Has 1.25" on one end and 1.5" on the other. Could be 3/8" longer for appearance sake but it will do. The upper hose is one of many GM (I hope) hoses that I have picked up at my buddies wrecking yard. Cut it in half. As of now, can't seem to ID it. Ordered an inline 1.25" Moroso Radiator Filler neck from Jegs for $35 (#63745). Nice unit. Got my eye on a small overflow tank out of a Scion but won't worry about this until I have the fender liners back on. Installed my serpentine and A/C belts.

Grabbed an aluminum Power Steering radiator off of a late model Ford Expedition. Looks nice and the rubber hose size is correct. Not sure where it will go until I get the front clip back on. Vice gripped it on the core support for now. Went out to have someone rework my I-6 PS hoses. No luck. Kept finding guys who build industrial hydraulic hoses. If I can find a set off of a V8 trailblazer, problem solved.

Looking for an inexpensive way to build up fuel lines. The I-6 lines aren't even close. Any good ideas will be appreciated. They don't have to look like a show car. This is a driver. What I really need are the fuel lines off of a V8 trailblazer. dug
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
rustymarco

-----

Last edited by rustymarco; 12-18-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: how delete comments ??????? this is very difficult to use
rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote