The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
gregfull

Insurance

I need some feedback on this one. I need to insure the suburban I'm building for more than blue book value. It's not complete yet though. Does anyone know of a company that will insure vehicles that are in process and not finished yet? I'd hate for something to happen to it and only get blue book for it after I've invested $$$$$$$$$$$. Thanks in advance for the help.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
svgould

Re: Insurance

Try hagerty.com. I just insured my unfinished truck with them and it was less than $200/year for full coverage. This is for a stated value insurance. Only stipulations are that you have it in a locked garage and can only drive it to car shows, club events, etc. Hope this helps
  • 4" rear springs
  • Coys Wheels 18 x 8 all the way around
  • Hydratech hydroboost brake system
svgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgould
Try hagerty.com. I just insured my unfinished truck with them and it was less than $200/year for full coverage. This is for a stated value insurance. Only stipulations are that you have it in a locked garage and can only drive it to car shows, club events, etc. Hope this helps
Usually this is called antique insurance. You will need lots of pics if you are not having an appraisal done. Not sure what the minimum charge is but I pay $170 CND for my truck appraised at $17,000. Another buddy pays $250CDN for his car appraised at $25,000. Looks like $10 per $1000 of insured value.
Same stipulations as listed above.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

That's how I have my 67 insured. Can't drive it more than 2,500 mi./yr and cannot drive it to work, or on a regular basis. It has to be in a locked garage like mentioned and I pay about $150-/yr. Next year I can re-submit to insure it for the value I tell them, but for this year I needed to insure it for the purchase price since I just bought it.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
C10 Club Tennessee

Check with Luv2xclr8-He's got GQ isured for like $18 a year or something like that until he gets done with it.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Zonaman

Well then, I should be a fellow you'd want to keep in touch with. Last Friday, I managed to incur over $4,000.00 in damages to my '69 I keep it as a daily driver and used to insure it for a "stated value"- $14,500.00 . I insured it with MetLife for a for about $700.00 (full coverage) a year here in Phoenix. That means it starts out worth that much and depreciates from there. I recently switched agents and under his advice, didn't use stated value. We did however, keep a copy of the appraisal and photos on file. I am currently waiting for my insurance comapny, Hartford, to respond to the repair estimate. If you like, I'll keep you posted via pm. Meanwhile, I would suggest you employ the services of a qualified appraiser and take the appraisal to an insurance agent you trust.

Last edited by Zonaman; 11-09-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
byrd
Union Electrician

I have progressive and they have a deal called GARAGED insurance. Meaning it isn't being driven, just garaged and protects against fire, theft,vandilizim(sp), tree falling on garage ect... and the best part it is dirt cheap!! I don't really drive my 69 and just asked what I could do and they told me about this plan and simply asked how much I wanted to insure it for, and that was that. I know your home owners should cover anything in your garage, but they will for sure want an appraisel and pics and of course more $$$ my .02
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #8
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Zonaman, could you keep us all informed in a separate thread. I think there are ALOT of people interested in a situation like this where an insurance company has to pay up. I've been with USAA for almost 20 years and have yet to file a claim, but would like to know how an insurance co is going to treat a truck like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonaman
Well then, I should be a fellow you'd want to keep in touch with. Last Friday, I managed to incur over $4,000.00 in damages to my '69 I keep it as a daily driver and used to insure it for a "stated value"- $14,500.00 . I insured it with MetLife for a for about $700.00 (full coverage) a year here in Phoenix. That means it starts out worth that much and depreciates from there. I recently switched agents and under his advice, didn't use stated value. We did however, keep a copy of the appraisal and photos on file. I am currently waiting for my insurance comapny, Hartford, to respond to the repair estimate. If you like, I'll keep you posted via pm. Meanwhile, I would suggest you employ the services of a qualified appraiser and take the appraisal to an insurance agent you trust.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 AM   #9
extd56

My homeowners insurance (AAA) does not cover a car in the garage unless it is a project in parts. They told me I had to get car insurance to cover my cars in the garage. I had a friend that had his 1970 Monte Carlo that had been restored but was not driven and not insured and when the house caught on fire and his car burned up in the garage the insurance would not cover his car. Just my .02 but getting coverage from a company like Haggerty for your project is cheap and they are great to work with when you have a claim, no hassle at all.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Zonaman, could you keep us all informed in a separate thread. I think there are ALOT of people interested in a situation like this where an insurance company has to pay up. I've been with USAA for almost 20 years and have yet to file a claim, but would like to know how an insurance co is going to treat a truck like ours.
I will. In fact I described the accident in a recent post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=179136 I'll post up to that one again when I've heard from them.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've got my cars insured with USAA and my 67 is insured with a sister company of theirs. I've NEVER had a problem with USAA when I needed their help. Pretty much no questions asked, they come out and cut a check within 24hours.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet
I've got my cars insured with USAA and my 67 is insured with a sister company of theirs. I've NEVER had a problem with USAA when I needed their help. Pretty much no questions asked, they come out and cut a check within 24hours.
Happy Veteran's Day and thanks to all the vets out there. I'm a civilian, past & present so I'm not able to take advantage of USAA. I feel I have a pretty strong hand with my vehicle. It was professionally appraised in March of 2004 as a "2.0 fine". I've added a vintage air system and a 700r4 tranny less than a year ago. The insurance comapny needs to be convinced that it is worth more than the repairs which are going to between 4-5 thousand. I think that may require some negociating on my part and I'm currently getting advice from some attorneys. Still, you can never tell how these things will go. I've yet to find an isurance company that will flat out insure an everyday driver that's had a lot of money sunk into it for what it's worth- no questions asked. Does that sister comapny take non-vets?

Last edited by Zonaman; 11-10-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #13
AKChevyman
Chevy Forever

I have to say that Hagerty insurance is pretty good I have 35k of insurance together on my two and it only costs me $274 a year now they don't cover tow rigs and they don't cover daily drivers like stated above but I have always thought if I plan on driving it for a daily driver then I will just add more insurace from some other company. So that I know I am covered in case of an accident I guess it would be like having two life insurance policies on them. but that is just my .02 hope everything works out for your Zonaman
Getting face lift and heart transplant .30 402 BB /TH400 and GV
Wifes car
1969 Chevelle SS 396 325hp/TH400
Factroy A/C Automatic w/ Floor shift console.
restored.
AKChevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I use Hagerty for all my old stuff. They never ask for any odometer readings, so I don't know how they'd technically know if a fellow was daily driving it or not.

All they ask for is three pictures via email when you establish the policy and that you do keep it in a locked garage at nights.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
gregfull

Thanks for all the replies! I'll give Hagerty a call.

Thanks again.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I use Hagerty for all my old stuff. They never ask for any odometer readings, so I don't know how they'd technically know if a fellow was daily driving it or not.

All they ask for is three pictures via email when you establish the policy and that you do keep it in a locked garage at nights.
No odometer reading? They're nuts! Anybody out there ever have a claim with Hagerty?

Last edited by Zonaman; 11-14-2005 at 01:12 PM.