The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Zonaman

Unhappy Zonaman Augers One In!

I was taking the boat home from the lake last night on the infamous Highway 101 through Scottsdale (You Az guys know what I mean) when some clown slows to a near stop to rubber neck a fender bender. Next thing I know I'm fighting to keep the brakes from locking on 5,000 pounds of steel and fiberglass. Just didn't have the stopping distance. The choice was rear end someone or lock 'em up and try to control the skid. I managed to do a 180 almost coming to a rest in the left most emergency lane. But not before I creamed the right front corner, smashed the grill ,buckled the hood, and bent the trailer tongue. No one else hit. Looks repairable.

If anyone has advice to offer on what hidden damages to look for or seeing to it that the insurance company/body shop does it right, I'd be gateful.

Last edited by Zonaman; 11-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Zonaman Augers One In!

That sux! Good luck with the insurance company.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Zonaman

Insured to 14K, should be OK moneywise. Just hope they don't want to overlook any repairs to cut corners.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonaman
Insured to 14K, should be OK moneywise. Just hope they don't want to overlook any repairs to cut corners.

You get to choose who does the work, so call around and ask the shops if they have ever worked on this year type of truck and then go there. If it was me I'd go to a Chevy dealer, have them make an estimate and give that to the insurance. Collect your check, buy the parts and reassemble it on your own and spend the rest of the money on a quality paint job. To me, it is my truck I want to work on it myself (unless the frame is bent) and why shouldn't I be able to pocket the extra$$$?? I pay my premiums and get nothing back. Get a "good" quote that will cover all of the expenses and then some and do the manual labor yourself (buy parts from Goodmark or ClassicChevys and then drop the rest on good prep work and paint.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
You get to choose who does the work, so call around and ask the shops if they have ever worked on this year type of truck and then go there. If it was me I'd go to a Chevy dealer, have them make an estimate and give that to the insurance.
That's just what I did. Went to a highly recommended Chevy dealer. There is some frame damage so that's way beyond my capabilities. I'm waiting to see if the insurance company covers it all or chokes.

Last edited by Zonaman; 11-15-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonaman
That's just what I did. Went to a highly recommended Chevy dealer. There is some frame damage so that's way beyond my capabilities. I'm waiting to see if the insurance company covers it all or chokes.

Again, do what you can and farm the rest out. A frame shop can fix a tweaked frame and the dealer would just farm it out and charge you double anyways. Do what you can and pay someone to do the rest and pocket any left over, in AZ you have that right. Hell, you can take all of the money and buy another truck if you wanted. Good luck, by the way I am headed your way from the frozen tundra of Northern AZ! I'll be traveling down the 101 as well, but I'll be truckin' in the work Tahoe, so I am ready for the rubber neckers!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote