The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2002, 10:39 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

need info on 700r4, will this work?

im looking to swap in a 700r4 into my truck (currently stock 250hp 350/350 on 6 cyl stands, column shifter tilt) i do not have the tools or the knowledge to do the swap so i will be paying a shop to install it.

below is an ad from a tranny shop, please read it and let me know the following

1. is this what i need?
2. what other parts will i need to purchase? (rough cost of parts too)
3. does $750 + $135 shipping sound fair?
4. will my drive shaft need to be shortened?
5. any rough ideas what a tranny shop would charge me for installation?

thanks in advance guys

<<<Heavy Duty 700R-4 Automatic Transmission
This is a heavy duty rebuilt THM 700 also available in 4x4 and computer versions {4L60-E 93up} at an additional charge. Rebuild consists of complete over-haul kit ,Raybestos premium H-D clutches, heavy duty band,corvette servo piston and a TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT{SK 700,} rebuilt 10 vane pump assembly,hardend sprag race,new filter, We use the 700R4 2nd design low sprag for extra strength and H.D. Center support. We only build V-8 units which means Maximum # of Clutches and Steeles ,{4-6 cyl use less}, but a V-8 trans can be used in V-6 applications,we install 8 clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack,verses the standard 5 or 6, we do this for maximum holding power,rebuilt front and rear planets,w/slinger and rebuilt governor is installed. This transmission has been completely dissasembled and thoroughly cleaned, tolerances brought to OEM or Higher specs, and inspected then reassembled with the highest quality parts and the highest standards.If you are looking for the best quality turbo 700R4 look no more.
>>>
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
Hooter
My other Love

Ya thats an awsome price for the tranny! But does it have anny warranty?
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
68 with 350 TPI

Just my little bit of advise but...
Try www.700r4.com for the trans.

Or go to a local shop that has done a swap like that to get it all done if you dont think you can do it yourself.

I have built a lot of those transmissions myself and if its not 100% right it wont last long.

You will need to get the driveshaft shortened.
Move the cross member back.
(note that the trans lines and yoke will interchange between the Th350 and the 700r4).
A bracket to fit under the carb to hook the throttle valve cable to.
And a way to lock/unlock the coverter.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:53 PM   #4
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by 68 with 350 TPI

Or go to a local shop that has done a swap like that to get it all done if you dont think you can do it yourself.
thanks for the site, i dont live that far from them. looks like they offer specific 60-72 tranny crossmembers and a bunch of other stuff for the install.

im going to give them a call monday and see what id be looking at for the install and tranny. im sure itll be a pretty penny but it looks like itll be worth it having it set up by a pro.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:53 AM   #5
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Quote:
Originally posted by Dropt72Shortbed

thanks for the site, i dont live that far from them. looks like they offer specific 60-72 tranny crossmembers and a bunch of other stuff for the install.

im going to give them a call monday and see what id be looking at for the install and tranny. im sure itll be a pretty penny but it looks like itll be worth it having it set up by a pro.
There's nothing special about the crossmember; just have to move it back and drill new holes in the frame.

IMO, it's not a terribly difficult swap to do yourself. It's not easy, and I'm sure it ranks a lot harder than a straight-up tranny swap, but it's doable.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:06 AM   #6
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:

You will need to get the driveshaft shortened.
Move the cross member back.
(note that the trans lines and yoke will interchange between the Th350 and the 700r4).
A bracket to fit under the carb to hook the throttle valve cable to.
And a way to lock/unlock the coverter.
700r4.com is definetly the way to go. They do it right without any guess work.

All the things 68 with 350 TPI noted are correct. They are huge things that you have to worry about, all simple things.

I cant wait to get my 700r4 into my 68. It has the 3 on the tree right now! gas mileage! hahahha

lata
CHRIS
ps. thanks for going through all this 700r4 stuff with me 68 with 350 TPI. Always good to know what you are getting into!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
68 with 350 TPI

As stated there is nothing special about the crossmember.
Just move it back a bit and save yourself some $$$

I also think that if given all the parts you could do the install yourself.
But just make sure you have everything you need.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
As stated there is nothing special about the crossmember.
Just move it back a bit and save yourself some $$$

I also think that if given all the parts you could do the install yourself.
But just make sure you have everything you need.
thanks for the info, im pretty sure i could. im not that mechanically inept. i have lowered all my trucks myself in the past and ill be bagging my truck myself in january.

the only problem is ill probably run out of time to do the tranny swap myself since the spring semester of college starts jan 28th. so time is an issue and im sure i can save up an extra green to pay someone for labor while im in school.

another thing i worry about with installing stuff myself is the warranty, seems like the minute something goes wrong the warrantys "no good" if you "installed in yourself"
Old 12-08-2002, 10:54 PM   #9
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I highly recommend Bowtie Overdrive's TV cable kit 700R4.com. They are a great source of information and very helpful.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:03 PM   #10
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Who pays if it doesn't work?

I have a customer that is on his third R4 in the last year. I don't know what the problem is, but he had a trans shop build & install the changeover in his 72...so they are redoing it with no arguements. They did the whole job so they have to guarantee the whole job. Get two different companies involved and they will blame each other.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:29 PM   #11
Dropt72Shortbed

Re: Who pays if it doesn't work?

Quote:
Originally posted by PICKMUP
I have a customer that is on his third R4 in the last year. I don't know what the problem is, but he had a trans shop build & install the changeover in his 72...so they are redoing it with no arguements. They did the whole job so they have to guarantee the whole job. Get two different companies involved and they will blame each other.
exactly my thoughts!

thats why i want to pay ONE shop to do the whole thing. when i was 16 i bought a 70 buick gs, the 350 died on me and i bought a 455 sent it off to be rebuilt then had another shop install it. i had several problems, most of whcih i believe were from a shoddy rebuild, anyways they just blamed each other and here i was 16 years old, stuck with with an empty wallet and a new 455 that leaked oil and didnt run as well as i expected a new engine to run.

im trying to build my truck a reliable as possible, went with the gm crate stock 350 since it has a 3 yr 50k warranty no matter who installs it. id like to have a nice warranty behind the tranny as well so whenever i decide to do this swap im more than likely going to be paying a shop to do all the work.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:39 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you have the check book out, and want a good waranty, call your local GM dealer. It'll cost you, but they have a good waranty on them.
A good way to cut costs, yet have it done up properly is to do the install yourself, including drilling/moving the cross member. Then, tow it to the shop of choice and have them do all the details. That'll knock off a few hundred off the labor price right there.
What ever you do, make sure that the shop adjusts the TV cable with oil pressure guages, and not by just the 'feel' of the cable.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:08 AM   #13
spinning wheels

Have you called bow tie overdrive in Hesperia? I think they have quoted me a price of around $1,800. To purchase and install a 700r in their shop. I'm not in the same rush you are, so I'm shopping around. I have found one tranny guy, that will build a beefed up 700r for around $750. If you want a drive-in, drive-out with new tranny, try bow-tie overdrive. Good luck, please let me know how it turns out.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:41 AM   #14
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by spinning wheels
Have you called bow tie overdrive in Hesperia? I think they have quoted me a price of around $1,800. To purchase and install a 700r in their shop. I'm not in the same rush you are, so I'm shopping around. I have found one tranny guy, that will build a beefed up 700r for around $750. If you want a drive-in, drive-out with new tranny, try bow-tie overdrive. Good luck, please let me know how it turns out.
yea thats the same place weve been talking about above

well im buying myself a new cab and shortbed already painted black so looks like my tranny swap money is gone lol.

$1800 sounds a bit pricey considering i could just go have my th350 rebuilt with labor and installation for like $1000 less probably. but i think ill still be taking my truck there in summer, they sound pretty profesional and if they do all the work then theyll sure as hell have to warranty it. not to mention the money ill save in gasy with the overdrive.

my calculations show that if i do my normal 12000 miles a year with 91 octane staying at 1.70, if my gas mileage goes from its current 12mpg up to 16mpg i ll be saving over $400 a year in gas.