The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Should I sell the spare cab?
Sell it. It's not like you have a place to keep it 11 57.89%
You've kept it for 2 years now...why sell? You'll regret...keep it. 5 26.32%
Try and up the price. IT is worth more in your geographical area. (rust belt) 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Question Sell cab and fix the one ton??? HELP!!!

Ok...Fine69 has a buyer for my old blue Longhorn cab. (it wasn't actually for sale...but everything is for sale at the right price)
My extra cab has mild hail damage on the roof, needs cab corners, inner rockers, and a couple small spots on the floor patched.
It is an A/C , headliner, small hump '70 cab, and the back window is about the only thing installed worth anything.
So...Mike's guy said he'd give $300 for it. I could (probably) get the one ton up and burning rubber with 3 bills, but I would need a cab later on down the road.
The cab I have now (on the one ton) needs all the same...plus door sills and more floor boards.
The main advantage to doing up the spare is that I can have it repaired while I drive it, and slap it on when it is done.
Soooo...Opinions?
(I know it is my choice...but as we all know, I can't make up my mind on anything myself)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 AM   #2
neonlarry

If your extra cab is nicer than the one on the 1 ton, I would keep it. Something else to think about, even here where stuff really doesn't get rusty, a cab in decent shape goes for at least $250, so if your extra cab is in decent shape it might be worth more than $300.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:36 AM   #3
cableguy0

i would probably seel cab myself in order to get the truck going. but i have been known to make decisions instantly. the way i feel is cahs talks and bullsh!t walks u gotta think about how likely its actually gonna be for u to get around to fixing the cab cuz i know i probably never would than kick myself in the @ss for not sellin it.but its up to you in the end
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

SELL IT !! SELL IT !! GET YOUR LONGHORN ROLLIN UNDER IT'S OWN POWER. WHEN YOU NEED A CAB, GET AHOLD OF ME, DRIVE OUT HERE FOR A LITTLE VACATION, & I'LL HELP YOU FIND A GOOD CAB FOR ABOUT THE SAME PRICE. THAT WAY YOU'LL HAVE THE MONEY NOW WHEN YOU NEED IT, & GET A BETTER CAB LATER , FOR THE SAME MONEY.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
68 Suburban

What about the choice of Selling it all and buying a Yugo? j/k
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #6
Huck

Andy, I agree with JyJohn re. sell the cab. You can find real decent cabs if you're willing to travel just a bit---one that doesn't need too much. If you think thru the repair you will be doing--rockers are no big whoop but---when you get into inners, corners, supports, floor, t get's messy and you got to kind of know what you are doing to get it to come out right. The parts cost, your time and labor (cussin, beer, etc.)---you can find a real decent tight cab for $500. and not have significant rework stuff to do. A little road trip pulling a trailer can bring you your replacement cab and probably some beds to resell which would pay for the time and the trip! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:17 AM   #7
junkyardjohn

Talking

I'VE HEARD THAT SOME OF THE CLASSIC YUGO'S ARE REALLY NICE, & ARE CAPABLE OF SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 140 MPH. (PROVIDING YOU DROP THEM FROM A HIGH ENOUGH AIRPLANE)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:44 AM   #8
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Plenty of replies, but nobody's voting?
Sell it! If you keep it, I have a cab that he can have for $50. I hope he has a welder and plenty of wire though.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
racedvl
Account Suspended

I dunno, I would keep it. . . Being it was from the monster that started all this for you. . .
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Andy, if you are going to the trouble to replace the cab IMHO, you should look for a pretty cherry cab. as far as rebuilding the old cab(thats on the truck), it a lot of work when you get into supports& such, but can be done on the truck(you just need a 5 gallon "bucket seat" ) so you can drive it till you get the seat back in! I have rebuilt 5 or6 cabs that were pretty much goners, due to the high cost/long road trips of the cherry ones. Id say sell the cab & get that old "Horn" to boogie! Good luck....crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:50 PM   #11
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

sell it. get the truck running. holes in the floor are cheap air conditioning!

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:07 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I feel a running truck is always better than a pile of parts. Use the money to get it running then if you get into trouble you can always sell it...it is really tough to sell a pile of parts and a non running vehicle. This will also allow you to enjoy your truck now...instant gratification!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Thumbs up

Sell it!. You could probably use the extra room and definitely use the extra cash. There's plenty of people here willing to help find you a better cab when you need it. Everybody is chanting SELL,SELL,SELL!!!!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #14
neonlarry

If you think you can get a better cab later, the I agree, sell the one you have. It's more important to get the truck running, then you can make it look nice later.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:26 PM   #15
ThreeQuarter

You can find another cab later, and I agree that you should find a nicer cab even if it costs more. For the sake of momentum get the longhorn running. I don't think you'll regret it.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:40 PM   #16
Crank

Well honestly, I know where some nice trucks can be had, never inquired about a price but with some rockers and a couple hundred bucks, it could probably be sitting on your truck. I actually happen to know where there are abundances of trucks just sitting, rotting away, it's just the fact that I don't have any greenbacks to buy them with. Right now, If I had some cash I could prolly score 2 1 tons, at least 6 regular trucks, and various parts. But being 15 and working part time at Arby's just isn't cutting the mustard ya know, so, sometime give me a shout when you're looking around and I can try to help you round up a decent cab in Northern KY.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:41 PM   #17
Crank

P.S. Does anyone know what to look for when buying a digital camera. I could possibly get some pictures of trucks and try to get them back into circulation if I had a camera to advertise with. Makes, models, prices??? Any good cheap ones, I don't want fuzzy pictures! Thanks
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:53 PM   #18
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Sell it!!!!!! I need you to finish your Caddy swap so I know what to do.........or what not to do

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I debated this my self, but when I strated reading the difference between the two cabs, I went with sellling it. If you werebeing a purest to keep serial numbers in line, then you'd probably want to keep and fix the original cab anyways. Since your going with GMC front end, I'd go with selling it and getting the longhorn running. Hey you could always patch the GMC's cab for the longhorn then swap.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:31 AM   #20
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Wow...the majority agrees with me.
When I first got the message, I said to my seld hell no. But by the time I typed out the responce, it had turned into a maybe.
Then reality set in. A pile of parts scattered across my dad's back yard, and a cab that I don't have room for here and ended up storing a couple counties (1/2 tank of 87 octain away).
Yep...time to sell it. A running truck is worth WAY more than a decent cab sitting in someone else's barn.
There were some good points made in this thread that I had not even thought of.
And as for numbers matching...I don't care what the letter of the law says...I would swap VIN tags in a heart beat. By the time this thing gets painted (IF) there would probably be no original sheet metal left on it anyways.
As always....thanks guys!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote