The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Charlie Coleman

IS this true?????

Found on ebay, but was unaware of this.....Is it a true statement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=5348

"This is a very RARE Big Block 305 Cubic Inch V-6 Engine with 110,750 original miles. Thats right! You didn't read the last line wrong...This is a BIG BLOCK V-6 Engine. Not very many were produced from the factory in 1967. If you want a Truly Unique piece of Classic American Machinery, this is your truck!"
Charlie Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
swdobbs

Sorry.......nope, not even close

Only if you consider that this v6 '305' came in most of the 1960-66 3 speed on the column trucks I've seen. As far as I know the 305 v6 was actually an industrial motors - fork lifts etc........ I had a friend with a 1966 and it felt weak compared to my inline 235.

swdobbs...............
swdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Scottri

It's not a "big block" and it's not really that rare but yes they put them in some GMC pickups in those days. Hard to find parts for anymore and a lot of younger guys in parts stores don't believe they ever existed.

Scott
Scottri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:39 PM   #4
jku72

They are not as common as other engines, but to say they are a "rare" engine is a bit of a stretch. In order for somthing to be valueable, it has to be desireable. I have seen many V6 305's, and on the cheap, because frankly, they are not desirable.
They are common in bigger GMC's, and are very torquey as well. I nearly bought a 67 GMC with this V6 for 400 dollars, but in light of the expense of parts, went with another truck.
I suspect that this "rare V6" could be in the same class as "rare 3 door suburbans", if you know what i mean.
In short, rare does not mean valuable all of the time.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #5
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

The motor is not rare. Its not a big block but it is big. I have seen this motor in a number of these trucks and even owned a 69 1/2 ton GMC with one in it. It was probably the only truck where I got decent gas mileage. It never had alot of power but it could pull just about anything I wanted it to.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:12 PM   #6
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Note also that the V6 fan shroud is almost identical to the 396/402 BB fan shrouds. I've compared both side-by-side and the only difference is that one is slightly deeper than the other, the other dimensions are the same. The depth difference is so small that they should interchange without problems. Keep that in mind next time you are in a boneyard and you see a 67 or 68 GMC

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The 305 was not the big block, and it is not rare. The 478 was a bigger block, and the 702 twin six was twice the size. Actually two of the small blocks bolted together. http://www.favorites.com/%7Ejolly/305V6.htm

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 PM   #8
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
it's no myth

I have one... it is a Large block... it is heavier than a 350 weighing almost as much as a big block. This truck is butt loads of torque. She is no speed demon by any means. but does get from point A to B.and I'm still skeptical about gas mileage... my 355 gets better mileage....but on the upside...it burns the cheaper grade of gas.. If you don't think it's a "rare" motor, go find parts for it... I dare ya. I work in an auto parts part time and I have trouble finding the right stuff for it... so much that I now have an electric fuel pump on it, because I ordered about 7 wrong ones...

That truck is dependable so far ... cranks every time and stays cranked on cold mornings without me in the throttle.

I bought it for kicks...now I'm really starting to like it.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:39 AM   #9
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

A 68 GMC 1/2T sold at impound auction here Fri for $225. Complete V6, right down to air cleaner, heat stove & pipe and that fan shroud that looks just like a BB. I think my therapy & counseling are finally kicking in, because I didn't buy it. I did try to buy some parts from the guy who did get it...no luck!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:02 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Try this site for engine parts... http://www.kanter.com/truck/gmcn.html

As for rare...nope. this was the base engine in GMC trucks...1/2 ton too, up untill 70. (any GMC truck with a CM as the first 2 digits in the VIN is a V-6 truck)
To say it is rare is inacurate. They were produced in millions. To say obsolete, is more acurate.
As much as I like the 305 and 351 V-6 engines, I have to say they are obsolete.
Model T's were produced in large numbers...they are only rare today becouse they have all been crushed...just like the V-6.
Sad thing is, they stopped making the V-6 becouse they were too durable. The dealers were not makin any money off of them in the repair shop. That's one theory anyways. Read that link that Fred T posted...tons of awsome info.
And if anyone needs used 305 parts, let me know. I have access to one here.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:44 AM   #11
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Longhornmail, I agree with you on most all of that. Drove a lot of different trucks with the V6 in the early 70s, from pickups to 5 tonners. The 305/351 was a durable engine as long as you didn't run it wide open all day long. They were made for city and rural driving. One lumberyard I worked at had a fleet of them and you're right, low maintenance. But I never drove one that liked to run when it was cold.

Another place I drove for had 5 ton trucks with the 478. Talk about torque, stump pullers would love them. Red-lined at 3250, in one truck that was 62 mph in tenth gear. Rarely had to downshift to go uphill. Problem was that we were hauling lumber on the highway, averaged about 2,000 miles a week. I got stuck with the low geared one, in 100k miles it blew 3 engines. Last one was mine, distributor was worn and shimmed, waiting on a replacement. The next day I picked up a piece of the block that was about 5"x8". They put in another engine and sold the truck. Never drove or saw a twin six, but did see a few dirt haulers with them. Those long snout hoods were quite a sight.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:16 AM   #12
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I've noticed that too many people on Ebay like to through the word rare around way too much.

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:34 AM   #13
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I've had a few chances to buy mid 60's GMC farm trucks with the V-6's in them. They usually sell in my area for around 100-200 bucks. Someday I may go ahead and pick one up, but as mentioned above....parts are hard to find.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #14
tom hand
CCRider

Main Entry: 1rare
Pronunciation: 'rar, 'rer
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): rar·er; rar·est
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin rarus
Date: 14th century
1 : marked by wide separation of component particles : THIN <rare air>
2 a : marked by unusual quality, merit, or appeal : DISTINCTIVE b : superlative or extreme of its kind
3 : seldom occurring or found : UNCOMMON
synonym see CHOICE, INFREQUENT
- rare·ness noun

In 2003 a 67 V6 truck is rare, hell a 67 GMC is rare. If thats what you wanted and you went on a search for one in good condition you would find out how rare they are. As far as desireable, well I don't think so
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM   #15
Charlie Coleman

Thanks for all the great information guys.......see, I did learn something today!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:52 PM   #16
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Teacher-I need a bathroom break!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #17
Erl

I have a 68 305V6 that I have learned to love (all 850lbs). I am looking for the original snorkel air cleaner, stove pipe and exhaust manifold heat shield. If anyone finds this complete setup in good shape, I will pay a fair price. They may not be rare, but these original parts are sure hard to find.
Erl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:16 PM   #18
Charlie Coleman

Erl,

Check out the link above.....you can get the pieces you need from the seller on ebay. Of course you will have some extra parts to sell, but what the heck. Could be a nice parts truck. Lots of good parts!

Old 01-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #19
Desert Rat

I recently had a 67 GMC 305 motor it went to junkyard all i kept was the air cleaner,shroud,ps,ac,alt brackets. why i have no idea.shroud is real close to bb but is a little more offset but would work on a bb,matter of fact they are still stacked ontop of each other.not something i will ever need,gutless poor mileage pig.its a cool looking motor ALMOST resembles a 348 or 09
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #20
Hardrock2
A$$ deep into trucks

Hi from Illinois!!! caught this thread and had to say "ditto" on the durable 305 V6. I remember back in the 80's,when we were dragging in cars and trucks to part out .........anything that still ran and didn't sell come crush time, got "BRICKED" before getting loaded up. The old GMC 305's were king of the hill!!!! never could get one to blow!!!! drain the water and oil, tarp strap the throttle wid open, fire'er up, kick back with a cold one and place your bets!!
Learned alot since then. (don't trash anything, somebody somewhere will eventually want it)

BTW, a couple years ago I bought a 67 GMC to fix as a driver...... it came with what I was told was a good running V6 in the bed.....the guy was going to install, but never got aroung to..........I went V8...... just dumped the V6 in the corner and forgot 'bout it till now.......... anybody interested in one???.......parts of one???? E-mail me if ya do...........69pace@ctitech.com

I've followed this board for awhile, and I just gotta say there's a wealth of info here. Good (great) ideas, totally awsome trucks........ built and being built!!! I'm starting to really get back into these trucks again so looks like I'll visit often!!

keep the greasy side down (or is it up??? On my truck I can never tell!!)

Mike