The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
ChargerBill

Lowering my '56 Stepside...any ideas?

I want to drive my '56 Chevy stepside to the Sacramento PoorBoys show in July and I have a few tech questions for whoever can help. I don't need to get it all done before I get there, but I'd like to.

1) 3" drop all the way around. Have a 2" drop axle, could de-arch the springs 1" OR buy drop spindles OR de-arch the spring 3" and relocate the hangers OR find a company that manufactures monoleaf drop-springs. ( I used to know a source but can't find the info)

2) I have '49 Chevy pickup spindles that are 5 lug (which I want to convert to...currently 6 lug) but I've been told I may have to ream or line bore them to accept the larger kingpins used on the 55-59 Chevy pickups. Does anyone know if that's true?

3) The gas and clutch pedals are just too high for me...I have long legs and feel like I'm going to give myself a black eye. I am already installing a smaller steering wheel to save my knees but it isn't fixing the knee-in-the-eye situation. Plus, my gut my be too big as well...maybe. I want to have the pedals shortened by 2" or so. Maybe a company out there sells shortened pedals for my truck. Any ideas guys?
1969 Dodge Charger
1968 Dodge Charger
ChargerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
pugs

Re: Lowering my '56 Stepside...any ideas?

ok lets see if this helps ya out, brothers has the mono leaves as well as oher venders out there, i dont ever recall seeing dropper spindles for there yr trucks, the 49 spindles most likely have 53-54 car drums on them which will fit the stock 56 spindles, and if you going to 5 lug in the front pick yourself up a chevelle rear and put the rear on top of the spring intead of under them like it is stock, which will help ya lower it, as for the pedals you nite be able to get away with cutting them down and rewelding the pad plate back on, maybe a newer seat, and also intall a fuel tank under the bed, which will give ya more room with a newer seat, hope this helps ya out