The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
michael bustamante

another frame swap question

I thought I had read somewhere on here that the 47-54 body sit pretty good on a late 70`s monte carlo/cutlass/regal rolling chassis. did I read wrong? If I did, then would a rear end from one of these cars fit pretty good on a stock GMC frame (1949) if I weld on some coils mounts? or is the length too long for these trucks? Too Many options!!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
youngrodder

Re: another frame swap question

My truck uses a modified g-body frame. It was modified by the PO. I did add air ride and boxed trailing arms. I also used a Grand National posi rear end.

when I bought it, it had coil springs and it sat very low and rode very smooth. That was 1/2 of the reason why I bought it.

Good luck
Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
michael bustamante

see thats what I`m thinkin too. coil springs make the better ride since I`m not building this for haulin. did the use the whole g body frame? or just the front half welded to the truck frame and modify the frame to fit the GN rear end? what didtrialing arms come off of?

Last edited by michael bustamante; 07-29-2008 at 07:29 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
see thats what I`m thinkin too. coil springs make the better ride since I`m not building this for haulin. did the use the whole g body frame? or just the front half welded to the truck frame and modify the frame to fit the GN rear end? what didtrialing arms come off of?
The way I understand it is they used the front and the back and added a new center section and tail section to secure the bed to.

The trailing arms were stock and I just bought aftermarket ones that were boxed but the same length as factory. I will PM you with a link to my photobucket page that has some pictures of the frame.

Thanks
Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
mr48chev

I've seen a couple done with similar frames that were built minus the running boards. That looks better if the front part of the box is shortened and you run a somewhat short wheel base.

Back in the late 70's my buddy (next door neighbor at the time) built this truck on a 65 Chevelle frame that was modified a bit.

It used the back end of a longbed pickup box cut off at the second post. In fact we swapped beds and the old 6-1/2 ft bed from his truck is on my truck and the bed that came with my cab is on his.

That truck is going back together as a full on pro street truck that will have an air bag suspension. I'm not sure if pro street and air bags go together but that is what he has. His car domain site is here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941388

One of my buddies in Texas built a similar truck on a shorted 55 Chev car frame that ended up in Oklahoma and was called Poco Loco at one time.
It was the inspiration for this truck.

I've thought about taking some of my extra pieces and putting one similar with a small 6 to use as a daily commuter.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
weldvair@embarqmail.

Here is how you do it.....Don Meyer www.meyerbrosrods.com
Attached Images

weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote