The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Maxiumum Travel Bags? High pressure?

What bag is the highest travel bag? Must have the center hole for the rear. High pressure 300psi. I want more lift! Because once I C-notch I'll loose 1 1/2 inches of maxiumum ride hieght. Don't like that idea.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Maxiumum Travel Bags? High pressure?

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumster
What bag is the highest travel bag? Must have the center hole for the rear. High pressure 300psi. I want more lift! Because once I C-notch I'll loose 1 1/2 inches of maxiumum ride hieght. Don't like that idea.
C-notch won't change your maximum ride height at all. But it will let you drop the vehicle more without hitting the axle on the frame. However, as you lower, you'll start to have other clearance issues-- rearend pumpkin, crossmember just forward of rearend, etc.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

Oh, and for your original question, AIM has a bunch of new high lift bags (I have some initial concerns on lateral stability but...)

Here's their biggest--

Kenneth
Old 03-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

better have a good panhard bar for rear stability,turn the corner and the rearend might swish out from under you
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I'm confused? Why are people wanting maximum LIFT with air bags????? Isn't the whole reason for installing air bags is to get the vehicle LOWER to the ground????
Old 03-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67
I'm confused? Why are people wanting maximum LIFT with air bags????? Isn't the whole reason for installing air bags is to get the vehicle LOWER to the ground????
Yeah, what he said

Actually I see some value in getting more lift. Since my current config is good for about an 8" lift, I am limited with how low I can get it and still be able to drive it lifted. So... say I went with a 1.5" xmember notch like you're talking about, then managed to get another couple of inches somewhere else, and releated the gain in the rear... then at FULL ride height I'd be chewing on my tires with the fender lip every time I made a turn. So, if I lowered it this far BUT had bags that took me up higher than the double-convoluted ones I ahve now, I'd be all set. However... again I have concerns for lateral stability for a rubber bag that's 12" tall.

Kenneth
Old 03-04-2003, 05:37 PM   #7
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by XXL
Oh, and for your original question, AIM has a bunch of new high lift bags (I have some initial concerns on lateral stability but...)

Here's their biggest--

Kenneth
i feel sorry for the IDIOT who buys those pieces of ****.

reumster if lift is you're game you can move the bags further up the trailing arm and this will accomplish more lift.

high pressure isnt going to give you any more lift.

what bags are you running in the rear? i remember you said you bought airlift bags right? air lift 2b7 and 2b6ext bags have a max height of 9.5"

you could run a slam specialties 7" bag (comparable to a 2b7) and those have a max height of 11"

however when it comes to ride quality i think 2b7s and the 7" slam specialties bags are too much spring for the rear of a truck which doesnt have much weight. however you have a blazer so it may actually be ok with those size bags.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:19 AM   #8
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

I had the Air lift but they didn't have the center hole, so I now have the firestones. I just want a couple more inchs. And don't want to relocate on the trailing arm. When I c-notch I'll loose a inch so I want to gain it back.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:27 AM   #9
BigChevMan
My Thoughts Exactly!

I'm not following how you'll loose any ride height? And did you know that you can get the airlift bags with a firestone bolt pattern? I would look into that or the slam specialties bags that others have mentioned. Stay away from anything from AIM cause all you'll get is a sore wallet and a sore rear from bending over and taking it from them on their crap
BigChevMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #10
Dropt72Shortbed

im with bigchev...

by c-notching it all youre doing is taking a small section out of the frame (for axle clearance) and then reinforcing the frame.

if you dont chance the way your bags are positioned then you wont lose and lift.

the only difference would be in this situation... if now currently when your axle hits the frame or bumpstops (whatever limits the axle from going higher at the moment) the bags are still not fully compressed, then with the c-notch the bags will be allowed to compress a bit more until they reach their minimum height. obviously the truck will go lower

if the bag is fully compressed at the same time your axle is coming in contact with the the frame or bumpstop then adding the c-notch actually isnt going to get you any lower as the bag being fully compressed itself will be the limiting factor.

in either situation your max height is not going to change, you will still have the same lift. unless when you c- notch the truck you change the way the bags are mounted on the trailing arms.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote