The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
RainDog

NO turn signals! Changed flasher & bulbs, now what??

Hey guys--trying to make sense of the pesky wiring (?) problems in my "new" GMC. Turn signals no worky, neither the lights themselves or the indicator lights on the dash. So, after new bulbs and flasher, the only other thing I can think of is the turn signal cam(?) itself in the steering column. I'm hoping those more electrically-inclined can tell me how I would go about testing this hypothesis, or maybe I've missed something else? Any diagnosis ideas? I'm really hoping it's not just a rotted-old-wiring problem! Thought I'd run it by you guys before I try and pull the fruggin' steerin' wheel and go pokin' about in its guts. Thanks!

RainDog
Old 03-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
pissonNOS

theres only one thing you can do. Make it a strip truck all u have to do is go straight haha but no i dont know
Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Gordo

Smile

The fuse checks out and you have power at the fuse? Do the emergency flashers work?
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
71 BIG RED

RAIN DOG, Put down the gun, check your backup lights they should be the only other thing on that fuse. if your brake lights are working and tail lights are working then both elements of your 1157 bulbs are ok and so is the ground. check and make sure that the ppl.(purple) wire coming out of your flasher is hot. this is the turn flasher. this purple wire enters your steering column through the connector at the bottom. now if you have power at this point. I can only conclude that your turn switch in the column may be bad. sorry !!! 71 big red
Old 03-05-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
RainDog

Thanks, Gordo. The emergency switch doesn't work either. I changed all the fuses in the block, nothing. I was going to grab my multimeter and check the turn signal circuit at the fuse box, I think that's pretty easy to do. Is there any way to test the turn signal switch while it's still in the column, or do I have to take everything apart? Thanks!

RainDog
Old 03-05-2003, 11:54 PM   #6
71 BIG RED

Rain, sorry, bad info, ppl wire enteres steering column as part of the ribbon connection at dash level behind column cover plate.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
kwmech

This may sound stupid but did you check to see that the t-s harness is fully plugged in? I used to have a truck that would come apart from time to time because the lock tabs on the side would't hold, also is it all of the signals front and rear?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
RainDog

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I made sure all the wires and fuses were tight. I'll check tomorrow and see if I've got power on that purple wire. Interestingly, one of my backup lights isn't working, but I haven't checked the bulb or connections yet. If it IS the turn signal switch itself, what all is involved in getting to and replacing it??

Thanks,

RainDog
Old 03-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
oldcarbuff

Make sure you check the grounds--Most of the oddball electrical things I have run across all come back to a bad ground. You may want to rig one up temporarily.

I usually start with an electrical tests at the back lights and work my way forward. No power at the socket? Move farther forward, repeat as needed.

OCB
oldcarbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I recently went thru this same thing and it was my switch. Piece of cake to switch out.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote